Thursday, August 16

School

The boys started school today.  All of us were ready for school to start - me most of all.  Kaitlyn is asleep, and I've got a sink full of dishes to attend to.  But I have the freedom to sit here and type a blog post without having to worry about any children for the moment.  It's wonderful.

School registration here is much different than it was in southern Utah. The cost to register my boys for school in Utah? Zero dollars. Nothing. In our school district here in Iowa, there is an $80.00 book fee per child.  Non-refundable.  School supplies required in Utah?  Nothing.  They suggest kleenex and a box of crackers, but no pencils, no paper, no crayons, nothing like that.  Here in Iowa? Second grade had a list of 24 items they were required to bring, including things like Crayola Twistables, shoes specifically for PE, and Clorox wipes.  Fourth grade's list only had 19 items.  I spent over $70.00 just on school supplies.  And that doesn't count school clothes or shoes, or backpacks or lunchboxes.  My budget is crying right now.

But, the schools here are very highly rated.  And we only live a four minute walk away from the elementary school.  But, they miss their Utah friends.  And so do I.



12 people wanted to leave a comment:

Jessie said...

Utah schools stink, but it IS nice to have "free" school.
The town we're in here has very highly rated schools too. Ours is a $25 registration fee, and a list of a dozen or so items. I think we spent about $40 on the pencils, tissues, glue sticks, composition books, etc. So not as bad as yours. I guess we're in the middle.

Our school starts next week. Yippee!

I think Eli might die of boredom once the older two are in school. I signed him up for preschool, even though we hadn't planned on it. I figure it will give him 2 days a week of fun time away from boring old mom.

Good luck to your boys! They'll do great.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Yay! School started for us this week and I couldn't be happier! Look how grown up your kids are!

Jilly Bean said...

Back to school is such an exciting transition! It's so good for the kiddos, even though I miss them. Hooray for still having a little one home! ;)

Jessica said...

Good luck with the new school! I actually would rather pay individual student fees and less in property taxes. That may just be my cynical side coming out with some many HUGE Utah families. I feel like they don't pay their proper share for public education.

natalie said...

Here in Texas, they don't provide ANYTHING. We have a list of about 70 items, including teacher supplies. I spend about $180/kid each year in supplies. AND!! When the teacher runs out of things in the classroom, like dry erase markers or whatever, I get a note home telling me to send some to school with my kid. I have even had to sent toilet paper.

On top of the supplies, there is the book fee of $50, plus each elective has a fee of $50-$80. My kids have five electives this year. PE uniform is required and it is a little over $100 for a shirt, shorts, sweat pants and sweat shirt. So that's $200 for just PE clothes. All told this year, I have spent close to $1000 on supplies and fees. Oh, and the PTA dues. It's disgusting, and I don't know how people who are not so well-off are able to afford it. On top of all this, I paid $15,000 in ISD taxes last year, so WTH?!

Kristina P. said...

Your kids are so cute!! And why is a free education do damn expensive?

I've been thinking about you. I hope things are looking up. :)

Lynette said...

I am jealous that your school has started. Keira doesn't start 1st grade until the 5th and Elaina starts preschool the week after. I am counting down the days!

Hilary said...

We moved last year and I BAWLED as I walked into meet the teacher... but I slowly got over it and nudged my way into the PTO. Amazing how time heals many wounds... or misisng stuff. Hang in there. :)

Kazzy said...

After the man-sized school clothes I have to buy, the supplies, and the $300 in school "fees", my budget is not just crying. It is throwing itself on the floor and having a huge tantrum!

The Yoder's Four said...

Yay for school starting! All 3 of your kids look like they've had growth spurts. We had to buy more ("suggested")school supplies than ever before this year, but it still wasn't as much as yours. I love going to the store and picking out cute glittery pencils and notebooks and stuff. Maybe it will be more fun with Kaitlyn!

Although....Madelyn suddenly outgrew all her shoes and THAT has been a killer. Also, she usually eats school lunch and her gymnastics is now $65 a month. Ouch.

Jessica B said...

Aw, all of your kiddos look so big! Love first day shots... before you know it Kaitlyn will be going off too! I am with you on the crazy amount of school supplies, but never even heard about registration fees for public schools!! Wow.

Stephanie said...

Oh my word, your daughter is so big now. Having been a teacher before, I resent a little bit how in Utah they expect the teacher to supply items for all the students with a very meager budget. But I totally understand your pocketbook pain.