I have noticed something lately. Those of us who write posts every day, or nearly every day, have some things in common. 1. We like to write. 2. We love connecting with others. 3. We LOVE to receive comments (it's kind of like validation for what we are writing).
I have only been writing daily for a couple of months now, and I am kind of trying to figure out where my niche is in the blog world. My biggest rule for my blog is that I want to be myself; I don't want to try to write like someone other than who I actually am. The problem is, I'm afraid I will always just have a run-of-the-mill blog because I don't do anything to "stand out." The most popular blogs are ones who stand out in some way. For example:
Kristina calls herself a comment whore. She doesn't take herself seriously, and people love her for it!
Mary is hysterically funny. I laugh out loud every time I read a new post from her. Even her comment saying is funny: "___ comments, I need one more to lift me from depression."
TAMN definitely fills a niche, and gets oodles of comments each time she posts.
Cake Wrecks has a huge following, and has the comments to prove it.
It's Lovely! I'll Take It! - Ditto.
Overheard in the Ward - a relatively new blog, but quickly gaining steam.
I don't know that I have a niche to fill, so I may never receive as many comments as I would like. I am still trying to figure out who I am, on this blog and in real life. I'm realizing that I need to write for myself, and not write for the comments. So that is what I am going to start (or keep) doing - and hey, if you want to comment, I would love to hear from you!
Monday, October 20
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



30 people wanted to leave a comment:
I think that it's great that you are writing for yourself. I can't wait to find out more about you.
Well, from what I've heard, everyone likes to read your blog. But I think it is a great idea to do it for yourself, and be yourself, rather than for the entertainment value, or for the comments. Sheesh, that sentence was full of comma's.
I feel the same way. I write about things that happen in my life. If they are boring to other people--sorry but this, for me, is my journal. You keep on keepin on because I love your blog!!
I had a junior high teacher who said the best writers are those who write like they speak. Meaning they are and sound like themselves. They don't try to gussy it up and make it fancy. When you read something it would be just as if you were speaking to them. Oh, another one of my long, drawn out comments. I hope you get my drift. Just keep up what you're doing. I have truly enjoyed reading what you write and I appreciate it as well.
Wow, what's going on with that comment junkie button? It's HUGE!
I don't know if you really need a niche. I didn't start my blog looking to fill one. I just write like I talk and how I am. I knew I wanted to be more sarcastic, because that's how I am in my day to day life.
Just write what comes natural to you!
Most of the time I just write to write. Sometimes I get lots of comments on a post I thought was just OK, and sometimes I get hardly any comments on a post that I thought was awesome. I just have different tastes from most, I guess. That has taught me to write for myself and not for the comments (but still, it does feel validating to get lots of comments, I can't deny it).
I can't imagine writing every day. I get every other day sometimes, but I usually need a few days in between. So...good job having a with-it enough brain to write nearly every day!
P.S. I also think Mary is hilarious. Mostly I see her comments and they make me laugh. And Kristina's blog is awesome.
If you blog it, they will come. At least I will since you're on my google reader:) I wish I posted more on my blog, but as I said before, my perfectionism paralyzes me. I think this problem keeps me from commenting too! I'll comment on your blog at least.
I definitely think my blog is one of those 'normal' ones. if it is funny it is because my life was funny at that moment, same goes for sad or overwhelmed.
I have already looked back and read things I forgot about, and it is satisfying to see it all written down. I am going to print mine up at the end of the year.... instant journal. Plus, online friends are hugely therapeutic.
Keep it coming!
I have been blogging for almost 4 years.
My blog is really not so popular, considering.
I go through occasional blog jealousies, and during that time I often find I am not being totally true to myself in my writing. Over the years I have gained a small following, (especially the last year as blogging became more mainstream) and that's nice, but I recently decided I don't really care. It's because I started thinking that if I get less than 10 comments on a post, I must need to change something. Whatever, though. I usually get more than that, so if one post doesn't tickle everyone's fancy, I can deal with it. :) Right? right. I realize that I get more positive feedback when I am totally myself and blog my honest thoughts.
Your blog fills a niche...the need for me to keep in touch with my cousins whom I love!
You get way more comments then I have readers I think on either of my blogs. So I think you are getting quite popular. It is fun to get comments and know that someone is reading.
I understand...and it is so nice to write and know that others read it and share our experiences with us...I have two blogs...one is more of a ministry blog and one is just family stuff. Becoming me is still considered a small blog, but I am now OK with that because part of the reason I blog is to connect with people now and the other part is so my children can connect to a part of me when they are grown...does that make sense?
Its fun to get comments I will admit it! I guess I just write about what I would want to read about. I guess thats weird random facts about me and my family. Don't get me wrong, I love to see 85 pics of someones kids blowing out birthday candles, but that gets a little boring after awhile.
I like the way you write. I am having a harder time keeping up with blogs now that school is running my life. But I'm trying very hard to read everyone's posts and comment because as soon as I'm finished (April next year) I will be on A LOT more.
I think being yourself is the best thing. I struggle with trying to find things that people will like to hear. I'm trying to just do what I feel like.
i'd say you are pretyt popular, and you are a great writer too. Mine is to journally!
liz
Just keep writing...I love to read your blog :)
I sometimes am amazed at how many comments you get! I love that you are yourself though!
dang girl how did you get that cute little eiffel tower to be up in the address bar.
teach me!
I think you fill the niche of just us normal every day moms that have stuff going on. Your blog is always interesting to me. I check well daily.
I used to want TAMN amounts of comments-- but then I realized it was much nicer to have the smaller amounts of comments. It makes it easier to actually "Get to know" the people I blog with. Ya know?
Although I wouldn't delete more comments if I got them... I'm just sayin'. :>P
My first few months of blogging I didn't even enable comments or tell anyone about my blog. Then when I finally turned on the comments I had to moderate them first, which didn't really matter because I was getting maybe one comment every other post from my mom and that was it.
Now people are actually coming to my blog and telling me I'm funny, which is news to me. Now I feel like I can never post anything completely serious, and to tell you the truth it's kind of overwhelming.
I think you should just keep doing what you've been doing, just be you. Because in the words of Mr. Rogers, "it's YOU I like!"
Yes! This is why I was asking the questions on my blog today. No one can say they DON'T care about comments, but it is a fine balance, trying to remember to just be you.
I really believe that if you keep it "you" that's when people want to read it.
I will echo Mary about Mr. Rogers, it IS YOU I like :)
Maybe us blog readers need to be better at leaving comments!..I know I love your blog, just dont always leave a comment
I love this blogging community. I've gotten to know many and find it is more satisfying when you write for yourself not for comments. But hey I think your doing pretty good with 24 comments.
I love your blog! I have had a great time, finding all these blog friends. Like everyone else said, just be yourself! I am just blogging for a journal and to connect with others.
Interesting, I've had the same internal conversation. ( and drawn the same conclusion)
In real life I used to think I needed to change something about myself so more people would like me. Funny thing, when I decided that was not working for me, and I just needed to be myself and if people didn't like me-too bad, I began making more friends than I ever had. Now I'm trying to remind myself of that when I blog. Its not about being like somebody else, nobody's interested in a knock-off, its about being "authentic" (oh, who is it that says that thing about having an "authentic voice"?) I ALWAYS enjoy your blog.
You have 26 comments for one post. I would die to get 26 comments in one month. Sorry..I don't always comments, but try to read a couple of times a week. Your blog is one of the ones I check on a weekly basics. I still don't know where you find the time...I never have enough time to get on the internet. If you notice my post are always a week after things happen in my life. At least I get things posted...that is a plus for me. Hope you have a great day! I THINK YOUR BLOG ROCKS!!!!
You know that I heart you!
I would have hearted you more for getting a shout out for standing out and being special. But I know you think so. Deep deep down...
Sadly, I do all my best commenting in person (preferably over ANTM)! But I'll try to chime in more often. I know I always appreciate comments when I blog.
P.S. I noticed a fantastic photo of you today at work - lovely!
Post a Comment