Friday, November 7

A Little Secret

A couple of weeks ago, I created a new email address intended for use in the blogging world (eringirl13 at gmail dot com). My usual address has my last name in it, and I didn't want that floating around the blogosphere.

Guess what I have learned since then?

People email me at that address!

I added it to my profile, so that if people wanted to contact me, they could. I didn't actually think that would happen, but I did it anyway.

Do you have all of your comments from your blog directly emailed to you? I do, and I noticed that when the email comes in from someone who has an address listed on their profile, all I would have to do is click "reply" and I could type them a response to what they said on my blog. If they don't have an email address, it just says "noreply-comment@blogger.com", which of course you can't respond to. So now that I have an email address listed on my profile, anyone can respond to my comments. And they do! I just figured this out a couple of days ago, so I have not responded to people yet. But I will start.

Sometimes people comment in their own comments section as answers to people's questions, but oftentimes I forget to go back and re-read people's comments after I have written my own comment. If you had an email address, they could respond directly and you would have your answer.

Does this all sound like a huge jumbled mess? Because it kind of feels that way in my head, and even on the computer screen. Oh well. Just believe me - create an email address for your profile. Oh, and if you use gmail, you can go up to settings in the top right corner of gmail and have emails from any of your email addresses all sent to one address, so you don't have to keep logging out of one and re-logging into another address.

To some of you, this might be ridiculously outdated information. I am a little technologically challenged, however, and I thought it might help those who are a little slow like I am!

(And if this made no sense to you, I'm sorry; either e-mail me and I'll try to explain it better, or just close my blog and pretend this all never happened.)

*P.S. Apparently, Motherboard wrote about this a while back, and I'm sure she did it much more eloquently than I did. She is so amazing; go check out her blog. This entire month she is posting bucket fillers - things you can do to fill your personal and spiritual reservoir. I love her!

29 people wanted to leave a comment:

Jan said...

MotherBoard shared this information awhile ago. You will love it. It will tell you all the comments too. I recently had a comment from like 8 months ago. I would never had gone back through and noticed a comment out of the blue like that. Great tip and thanks for getting the word out. It is really fun to quickly respond to comments you enjoy too. Or new people.

Suzie said...

What? What happened? IS that a bus over there?

Erin said...

Motherboard, I bow to you. You are so awesome!

Heather of the EO said...

I love being able to reply via email to comments. I respond in comment form when someone asks a question, but it makes more sense to do it directly because I highly doubt people come back to read comments all that often. Unless there's a juicy controversy of course.

I love the bucket fillers too - love the motherboard blog too :)

Shauna said...

Yes this is true and great info! Thanks and big (((HUGS))) to you :)

Anonymous said...

Ok so all I have to do is check the e-mail box below then I get a response? It's that easy?....Wow!!!!

I'm still trying to figure how to compile all my g-mail accounts.

Thanks for the info.

Unknown said...

I love getting my comments sent to me, but it is all linked up to my personal e-mail, and I honestly have no patience to re-do it at this point in time. *sigh*

Brooke said...

I've never seen motherboard. I'll have to go. Thanks for the info!

rychelle said...

good tip!

i love learning stuff like this. =)

Jilly Bean said...

Well that's cool. It sounds handy. I don't think your technologically slow. In fact, I'm learning from you. So if you're slow. I'm super slow. :)

Lara Neves said...

Yes...I didn't even realize I had my email address showing on my profile until I would sometimes get replies. The problem is, that my gmail is constantly throwing them into spam, so I miss them a lot anyway...because I don't like wading through it.

Desta said...

The big exception would be if your husband started the blog and his email is the primary account so all comments go to him. He has it set up to forward but many times the comments do not. That also means no replying for me. Oh well. And I would suggest subscribing to follow-up comments on blogs where people are prone to responding in their own comments.

Erin said...

Very true, Desta. Very true.

Kristina P. said...

I really wish all people had their email address in their profile. I email a lot of people from my blog.

And my phone gets emails, so I love getting all my comments at my fingertips.

Jen said...

Isn't technology great?! I'm probably one of those who responded via email to a comment you've made on my blog. I LUV it.

Christa said...

I think I'm doing all of these things. I'm not quite sure. I'm easily confused.

Kayla said...

This helps me! I will figure out how to do it sometime. I do have my comments come to my email, but I didn't know about replying if the person had an email listed on their profile. That is cool!

Lorie said...

I love responding to peoples comments via email. And I get sad when I type out a response and then realize that the address is noreply@blogger.

So everyone should put an email address on their profile.

Do you know how to have your gmail account get emails from your other gmail account (so you only have to check on?) If not email me and I will tell you how! ;D

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I never reply in my own comments because I never check back with other people. Wanna talk at me? Email me! So much easier, isn't it?

Goob said...

I actually did not know this, so I am glad you posted it! and now to click the "email follow ups" part!

Elisa said...

Oh my gosh! What a surprise to see love being sent my way. I really needed it today!

There are ways to fix where the emails are being sent-- just go into comments in your settings-- you can add up to 10 emails. I have mine go to my 2 email accounts that way I can read them on my "real" account, and then respond from my "fake" one. It's just a friendly service provided by blogger for those family bloggers-- that way EVERYONE gets to read the comments in their emails--- if they want to.

When you add your email to your profile you can add whatever one you want... it doesn't have to be the email used to create your blogger account. I DON'T have the email I signed up with as my profile email-- I have my handy-dandy blog email! You get to choose what one you want to put in there.

I wish everyone did it... I LOVE to email everyone back. And I do. (even when I had 111 of them...)

Judi said...

It is so very fun to check your email and see how many have commented on you blog isn't it?!
LOVE it.

Wendy said...

That is cool, I didn't know that

Whitney R said...

I get the email updates on comments. I like to comment back to each person on my post so that I have it for if I ever look back and read the comments I can see what I was thinking at the time. But I haven't had a lot of time in the last week and so I haven' tbeen responding to comments like I would like.

I should do this to the few I really want to respond to. :)

Thanks! I did wonder how you would respond to the comment.

Anonymous said...

I think I even have a gmail account that I had to open back when Blogger first became associated with google. If I could only remember what that was ...

LisAway said...

I also appealed to my readers to add an email address to their profile a while back. It's so terrific! Just like you say. I was so glad to see that you had yours because I really had to tell you have clever you are! Just think, if that happened a few weeks ago you NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN!! :)

Kathy P said...

I have a blog email too... helps keep things straight.

Liz said...

That is a good idea
Liz

Devri said...

I knew of this, I just need to get it done, sounds wonderful!