I have been hearing way too many stories on the news lately about 8 year olds killing their parents and nasty white powder being sent to temples and seminary buildings. I get so sick of the bad news that seems to be ever-present. Last week, That Girl in Brazil wrote about making a goal to smile at everyone she saw, just to see what happened. Everyone smiled back at her. So she decided to go one step further and give people honest compliments, to see what happened. And people got embarrassed. So she gave us each a challenge to say hello to people, and to say thank you when someone compliments us. It was a great post. Go read it right now.
Another woman in the blogging community, Kathy P., has started a new blog called Real Angels, Real Life. I love the idea of this blog. What you do is watch for random acts of kindness, or situations like That Girl in Brazil was doing, just smiling and complimenting everyone she encountered. Then, you can either write about it on your blog and use the Mr. Linky to connect it to your post, or you can just write your story in the comments. And what if I suggest something even more revolutionary? What if, instead of just watching for random acts of kindness, you actually look for situations where you can be a Real Angel to someone else? And then write about it. Not in a boasting kind of way, but in a way that will make me feel all warm and fuzzy just by reading it.
Go over to Real Angels, Real Life right now and start thinking about ways you can make someone's day. I've got a couple of examples right now: when someone is trying to pass you on the freeway, let them. If you are shopping the day after Thanksgiving at 6:00 AM and someone else reaches for the last Tickle Me Elmo, let them have it (instead of the news report a couple of years ago about the woman who ran over another woman with a shopping cart over a Tickle Me Elmo doll). Do you have any other thoughts or examples?
Monday, November 24
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



33 people wanted to leave a comment:
When you see a friend or neighbor get up from a meeting in tears. Follow them out and give them a hug. Then stop by their house later to give them support and another hug.
How about when you see someone at the grocery store with three screaming kids let them go in front of you, especially when they dont have very many things and your cart is completely full! Oh, that person would be my angel
Thanks for this. It was a great reminder that I really needed. I need to be more kind to everyone.
I have many ideas.. I will go execute them and then come write about it. Thanks for this! We all need a reminder once in a while...
GREAT post!! I really needed this today!!
I have actually just been telling myself I need to be kinder to everyone. I feel I have become a bit cynical and I am hoping to become a better person so this was great to read.
thanks for the links!
i can't wait to get started.
Thank you for the inspiration.
Last week I said Hello to a polygamous family at WalMart. They seemed really surprised anyone would talk to them.
I go shopping on black Friday every year, and I am usually pleasantly surprised about how nice and friendly and helpful everyone is. Christmas spirit, I guess.
But, I have also seen the fights over barbies and such. Silly stuff.
I'd say meeting your friend for lunch on your way to Salt Lake counts! It was great to hang out. Also, I laughed at the title because there's a song we sing with Zoe and one of the lines is "I want to try to be nice to everyone" and when she wants to sing that she starts yelling "I want to be nice to everyone!" I just wish she knew what it meant.
There is a message board that I belong to that has something similar.
I love this idea!
Well, my husband just got called as a High Councilor (he's 30 - aren't those guys supposed to be old(er)?), so anyone who would like to be nice to me, please feel free!! :)
I'm with the Phillips family, though. For moms, any and every form of assistance at the grocery store is a huge deal.
Thanks! I've been a follower of Real Angels, Real Life and have enjoyed reading these things. And definitely being the real Angel is the goal! Thanks for the reminder and good will. Have a great day! Hugs to you and your family.
After some of my own horrible experiences shopping with little ones, (years ago)I now make it a point to let young moms with very fussy babies or little ones, go ahead of me in the shopping line. I realize that life is way too short to be in a hurry! I LOVE this post and thank you for sharing and reminding all of us how important it is to make those little moments count.
I've seen your comments on a lot of the blogs I frequent and dropped in to say hi.
I love this concept. I had an ailing aunt once who told me a story that made me want to compliment more people more often. It's usually a win-win situation when I do.
I love this idea but I am so cranky right now. I am using all of my strength not to just mummble complaints under my breath. I will work on smiling ...I will really.
Great Idea Erin! I'm taking on this challenge with you to look for more opportunities to do nice things for other people. What better way to get us all into the Christmas Spirit.
Love that Brazil. She is so great. I am so glad to have her around. The other link sounds just amazing. We need more kind notices.
Erin, Thanks for this post!! we all need to be a little bit more like that little girl especially in this day and age we live in when so many people only care about themselves! Thanks for sharing!!
Good idea. I'm so lame, I'm often not friendly because I'm worried about what people will think. UGH. How old am I? I clearly need to get over it. Thank you.
This goes along with the whole Random Acts of Kindness thing and the Pay It Forward thing. I grew up in a large urban city and strangers never spoke to each other. Then I moved to San Diego and was amazed at how friendly everyone was--I thought this was so great! I went back to San Jose to visit and was standing behind a woman in line who was short some money. I handed her a dollar and you would think that I had just given her my first born child (would that I could. Just kidding. Sort of) I have heard that people in Norway rarely smile-maybe because it isn't very sunny. San Diego is very sunny--people are nice and friendly. Hmmm. . . .
YOU ROCK!!!
I like to bring my neighbors garbage can up to their house on garbage day (after it's empty of course) I'm like the garbage angel.
On Dec. 1st I am posting about "Hold the Door Day" on Dec 23rd. We are going to head to the mall with some kind of little treat and acknowledge little acts of kindness we notice during the busy shopping day. I hope you will all join me!
What a great post, thank you. This is something that I need to do all the time not just this time of year. Love your boys names by the way, (I also have an Ethan).
we will NEVER know when a kind word or a squeeze of the shoulder in passing can make or break someones day. I wish more people would get out of thier comfort zone and be honest and complimentary with others. This world would be so much better.
thanks for the post.
Erin, I just read your comment on my blog about my comment on your blog--and all I can say is, I'm working on it! Someone told me how to do it so I'm going to see if I can figure it out. (this sounds kind of off-color, doesn't it?)
This just makes me happy that people even want to do this... I love it!
Erin you're so great! I love that you put deeper things in your blog than I do!!! Really this was a good idea and a wonderful way to remind us all to be a little nicer to others. Thanks!
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
First of all, thanks for Mr. Linking me - I feel famous!
And I LOVE the Angel blog. The perfect thing to counter all the saddy things today.
What a great idea. Everything in the news is making me sad, too.
I love to smile :)
It's nice to hear all of the ideas. I still can't think of one. . .
Thanks for your post Erin!!! I can't wait to see everyone's stories!!!
Post a Comment