FIVE DOZEN CHERRY CHOCOLATE SQUARES
I try to make these yummy treats every December. I have learned that the cherry frosting you use isn't sold at just every store; generally you can only find it at Associated Food stores. Last year when I lived in Iowa, I went on a mad hunt for the frosting. I searched every grocery store in town, and of course, I found it at the very last grocery store. I need to just buy two or three to save for the next couple of years.
I got this recipe from my good friend Heather. It is her husband's grandmother's recipe. Incidentally, her husband Robert is Christian's best friend from high school, and also the guy I dated for a year before falling in love with Christian (if you have read my "story in three sentences" in the sidebar). To see a picture of him, me and Christian together in high school and hear a semi-awkward story, click here.
Heather graciously told me I could post the recipe on here for these yummy candy squares. I emphasize yummy.
Chocolate Cherry Candy Squares
Bottom layer -
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cups crushed blanched salted peanuts (or be lazy like me and buy a container of Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts, forget about the blanching and just chop them up in your mini chopper)
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave. Stir in peanut butter and chopped nuts. Pour on a large cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place in fridge to set up.
Middle layer -
16 large marshmallows, softened in microwave
stir in 16 oz cherry frosting and spread on bottom layer
Put in fridge to set.
Top layer -
Repeat the same as bottom layer (so you need 2 more cups choc chips, 1/4 cup p.b., and 1 1/4 cup peanuts). Place in fridge to set up.
When set, cut into 1 inch squares and store in covered container in fridge. They really do need to stay in the fridge to taste the best (there is a crunchy factor involved that you won't find by keeping them on the counter). Enjoy!



39 people wanted to leave a comment:
I know you turned comments off for your thank you post. But I want to say "Way to go for evaluating how you're doing and making adjustments that will be better for you." Way to go! That's hard to do. Good for you, girl!
Love you!
My dad used to buy as these things called "Christopher's Big Cherries" when we were kids. We'd get them about once every other year, maybe every third year. He thought they were the best treat, but none of us like them. As an adult, I like them a little bit, abd these sound like they would be almost exactly the home-made version of them.
WOW...those look super yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe!
YUM! Thanks for sharing :) ♥ Hugs!
Ho-ly evilness. I am SO trying these.
I am in a sugar coma now. Passed out in delight.
Yum! These look delicious and easy. I will definitely have to give this recipe a try.
I must say that your quote above your comment form is the best I have ever seen. So creative using a modified quote from the "I'll Love you Forever" book. Well done!
-Francesca
Can I have one?
Found you on blog stalkers unite.
So. Yum.
OH. MY. GOSH!! They are a homemade version of the Big Cherry!! I am SOOOOO making these!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
Boy that looks good
Augh! Only a few more days and I can cheat a little!
These look DIVINE! And you're saying you can get the frosting at Lin's then?
These look sooooo Yummy!☺
Wow! Those look great. I don't know how much luck I would have finding the icing--I can't even find a red velvet cake mix around here!
Looks delicious!
Erin, you are killing me here! I think I have already gained 10 pounds in the past month. :(
And I'm glad you are going to change the way you blog. I've finally gotten into a rythym and am able to enjoy blogging again. It shouldn't be stressful.
Ahhh, why would you do this to me?
We're making cookies today, and every new recipe I find I have to add to the batch.
I'm gonna be as big as a house by the end of the holiday season.
those look SO good. where does one find cherry frosting?
These look amazing! Thanks for the recipe.
Uummm, yeah. I didn't even read the recipe the whole way through, I just looked at the pictures and now I think I have to make them!
Um, YUM! Putting these in the holiday rotation!
BTW, just after I read your post the other day, I too lost a follower! You talking about it put it in perspective for me though, so I was able to shrug it off. Don't know if I would have been so flippant about it before! Why does that stuff matter?? Oh, right. IT DOESN'T.
Love all your stuff...will be glad to read whatever you care to share! =)
Have a happy day!
YUMMM!! Maybe I will try and make those, even though they won't turn out like that :) (trust me ha ha)
MMM, delish!
Oh, I NEED to try this one. My husband LOVES cherry stuff. Me, not so much, but the frosting is not bad at all. This may be a good compromise. Because heaven knows I hate having chocolate in the house that I won't eat! That is just sick and wrong! thanks for the recipe!
I may have to substitute minty for cherry, as I can't handle fruity chocolatey stuff. I know, I'm weird. They do look impressive!
yum! I'll take anything chocolate year round-And the recipe looks doable. the best part.
Mmmmmmm. That's all I have to say about that.
You're sending us some, right??
I know how it is to try to find something and have to go to many stores. A couple of Christmas' ago I made up several batches of rolled cookie dough. Then I couldn't find my rolling pin. I tore my kitchen up looking for it. Then I went shopping, several days before Christmas and there isn't a rolling pin to be found in town. I was so mad. I found out later that my brother had borrowed my rolling pin a year earlier and then had gotten rid of it. Now I have two rolling pins. My husband and my brother both bought me one.
Wow. Cherry & peanut butter sounds like an interesting combo. Maybe I will just have to try it.
I want some NOW please. Can I come to your next party?
This was even better than a cook book with pictures because you illustrated the steps. How cool is that? Looks yummy, btw! :)
Thank you for sharing that... I was looking for something new :) Delicious!
Wow these look great!!!!!!!!!!
Oooooo those look yummy!
I am going to have to try those. Yummy. With all of the treats around I better get out there running. About your self esteem blog, just remember you are making a difference and blogging is just to help us keep our memories and possibly if we make friends along the way what a great wonderful bonus.
My kids would kill each other for these.
I gained a pound just looking!
Those look so yummy. I am going to have to try and make them. I hope that I can find the frosting.
Post a Comment