Monday, January 4

Earthquakes & Other Random Stuff

I got a lovely (dripping with sarcasm) piece of mail today: I was cordially invited to subscribe to the magazine called More. The testimonials rant and rave about what a fantastic magazine it is. Their byline? "It's about everything that matters to you!" The problem is that it is "the best-selling magazine for women over 40." Ahem. I'm 33. Who jumped the shark on this one? (Did I use that saying correctly?) I don't care how much you flatter me; I'm not going to subscribe to a magazine who went the wrong direction with my age. Now, if Seventeen Magazine mailed me and it was full of flattery, I might just subscribe. Sheesh.

Today, I did six loads of laundry, did the dishes & cleaned the kitchen, collected a pile for the DI (Goodwill for those of you who don't know what the DI is), ironed all of Christian's work clothes, played Monopoly, balloon volleyball and Go Fish with Aidan, and made a lemon meringue pie from scratch. Today, I am SuperWoman. (Even though I never got out of my pajamas, or brushed my hair or teeth.) It sure feels good to not have morning/all day sickness anymore. I think I won't do anything tomorrow just to make up for the fact that I did so much today.

We had an earthquake hit my little town today. At 9:30 this morning I was paying bills online when my computer desk started shaking. I thought, "I'm not printing anything." (The reason it would usually shake.) Then I looked outside to see if a giant truck was driving by. It wasn't. So I figured out that it was an earthquake. It was 4.1 magnitude, with the epicenter about 8-11 miles away from my house. I've never felt an earthquake before; it was kind of cool. But I'm not wishing for any more to come our way. My 72 hour kits are low on food. (The earthquake didn't do any damage that I am aware of.)

I'm tired of the seahorses. I want to change my header/background. I don't know what to do though. Whine whine. Any thoughts?

34 people wanted to leave a comment:

Kristina P. said...

Well, you are 33. SOOOO much older than me at 31 1/2.

Desta said...

Isn't 33 the new 40? And I'm not sure if you used the "shark" saying correctly, but I don't think anyone who actually knows what it means will be overly offended.
I'm excited to see what you come up with for the blog. I need to take my Christmas decorations down on ours, but I'm not sure if I want to design a new one or go back to an old one.

Sabrina said...

You were Super Woman today! I want to see some pics of that Lemon Meringue Pie! And I want to experience an earthquake too. You get to have all the fun today! (well I don't know how fun earthquakes are, but a minor one would be neat!)

tiburon said...

The people at More need a beating. And you are Superwoman! I barely got out of bed today!

Anonymous said...

You are a rock star! I didn't get out of my pajamas today either, but I did laundry all day, so I deserved it, and so did you!

When we lived in Arizona back when my daughter was a newborn, we had an earthquake in the middle of the night while I was up nursing her. I started feeling dizzy, like I was spinning, and it freaked me out until I saw the water in my glass was swirling around and I realized what was happening. Weirdest feeling ever.

Jules AF said...

Wow. I wonder why they send those to people who are SO young!?

Lee said...

I didn't change out of my jammies or brush my teeth today either.

I've only ever felt one earthquake. Luckily it wasn't that big. :)

Rachel Sue said...

Lemon Meringue pie from scratch? you are a goddess!

I was thinking about earthquakes today. Because if we have a big one, I'm afraid that everything that I have shoved in my closets will fall on my baby's bed. Maybe I should move that. . .

Melanie Jacobson said...

I like earthquakes when they aren't nearby. There's two kinds: rollers and shakers. The shakers are scary; the rollers are fun. But if I could choose, I would still pick no earthquakes at all.

Emmy said...

Go you supermom!! Some of my best days are the ones I stay in my pajamas all days.

We have had a few earthquakes here too, but all small enough I missed them.

Cluttered Brain said...

I've felt an earthquake once too. I almost got on a news show too. Came to interview me and everything. But all his footage was lost. Nuts!
It was when I lived in SLC.
Scary stuff.

New Header...what about cookies?
You got that If you give a mom a moment theme...Chocolate or cookies sounds good don't you think?

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fantastic!
And YES you were definitely SUPERMOM and SUPER WIFE today! Way 2 go!

Katie said...

Wow...I think you earned an easy day tomorrow!

Jess the photographer behind the lens at JWilsonPix said...

kind of scary on the earthquake....

kudos to being super mom.....

I am no help as I just redid mine and I am not as talented as you in revamping stuff... lol...

Hugs and carry on!!! =)

Jilly Bean said...

You babe! You might be tired today. Yeah, just rest. :)

Karen Mello Burton said...

Random comments:

I love being over forty! Embrace it and stop hiding behind "33". jk

I love productive days so much!

I lived in LA for 5 years and we had an annual earthquake. Hated every one and was jumpy for days afterward.

Unknown said...

I just think when you label a magazine for 40 year olds, even when we hit that we aren't going to be excited about it, ya know????

I cleaned like a mad woman yesterday, too....today, I just want to crawl in a hole and sleep. Oh well. One day isn't bad.

Barbaloot said...

I promise I had nothing to do with you getting an over 40 magazine. Just sayin.

And no more sea horses? But they're your trade mark. And your amak...I don't remember exactly how to spell it.

Laurie said...

Whatever header you choose, leave that font! I LOVE it!!

And you had an awesome day! Well, besides, the earth making your desk shake! :)

Britt said...

Are you starting an early nesting phase of pregnancy? Sheesh! I'm ready for a blog face lift too.

Amy said...

Super Woman is right! I wish I had that much energy and time Amazing! And how cool that you felt a non destructive earth quake! They are kind of fun when you know that there was no damage and no one got hurt, aren't they? I can't wait to see what you decided to do for a new background!

That Girl said...

I just LIKE you, woman.

Is that a weird reaction to this post?

Cajoh said...

It reminds me of the piece of mail I got that was addressed to Ms. Christopher Johnson… Hello I know that I sometimes appear to have a feminine side, but do your research please.

Hey, Valentine's day is coming up. Perhaps you can change your background to have hearts.

Anne-Marie said...

We are surprisingly similar today. I'm still in my jammies too, but didn't do nearly as much as you.

ummmm...lemon meringue pie. one of my faves.

* said...

Why not swap the sea horses for sharks? :)

Enjoy the lemon meringue, mmmm!

Kristen said...

I would be bummed it I got a magazine offer like that (we are the same age) but even more bummed if someone saw me in person and thought the same thing. That would really suck, I think I need to get my hair colored now to cover the greys.

Fiauna said...

I think I felt an earthquake last night. Uh-oh. I'd better go beef up my 72 hour kits.

On the header: Change is good. Go ahead, mix things up, change your header.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You ARE superwoman. I haven't done that much all week!

Stephanie said...

I'm on That Girl's team today: No real comment, just I like you.

I think you should get one of those creative people out there to design you a graphic of a mom (you, of course) sitting at the computer with a bubble above her head that has pictures of Paris and Cafe Rio and Seahorses floating around in it. Am I weird? You asked. :)

rachel said...

My husband gets junk mail from AARP ALL the time and he's under 40. I have to tease him about it. How do they get their lists?

Karla said...

hooray for no more morning/all day sickness!!! Still, I was exhausted even reading your list of accomplishments for the day. Whoa! I need some rest. :-) And, could you keep that ironing all of Christian's work clothes on the down-low....I'd love for Jeremy to not find out about that! :-) Ultrasound scheduled?

Merri Ann said...

OK ... I must confess ... I've been stalking your blog for months and months ... and this is my first comment.

I have been wanting to "Thank You" for the tips you provide on the left side of your blog. I just used one of the websites you talked about to change mine. It's still a work in progress as I'm learning as I go.

I love the look of your blog ... but I agree with another comment about keeping your font if you change the rest.

You were superwoman yesterday but you forgot to add that you also blogged ... at my house I have to choose to read and comment or post to my blog ... I have a hard time getting the time to do both.

Lastly, I was born and raised in California and was in more earthquakes then I can remember ... now I live in Tornado Alley ... I think my next move should be to a place prone to tidal waves and hurricanes to round out my experience with mother nature.

Hope you get a restful day today ...

Jessica G. said...

We had an earthquake here in Utah, too. UTAH! I didn't feel it, though.

And I'm sick of my header, too...any ideas for me? Wanna trade? :)

Cranberryfries said...

A) The first time you feel an earthquake I think you rememeber it forever.
B) I wish I could just run down the street and see you. I think that'd be fun.
C) Good luck with the blog makeover. I have images all ready to use and I still can't figure out how to make them look good. Haha.

Loralee and the gang... said...

EArthquakes are scary. There was one in Oregon when I was in the hospital about 12 hours giving birth to my fourth baby. I literally saw the brick walls moving, and heard the sound of the freight train just seconds before the movement started. Crazy stuff.

New blog header? You need to make it something personal to you, just like you did with the seahorses. An idea like my friends blog at http://jadeandben.blogspot.com/ is a really cute one. Maybe you can do your own version of that sort of thing...