Saturday, May 16

The Right Place at the Right Time

Something happened yesterday that reminded me that God watches out for me. I was reading books with Aidan at the library (if you remember, I don't go to the library very often). After about 45 minutes we walked up to the desk to check out the books we had chosen. There was a girl standing at the desk asking about library cards, and she looked really familiar to me. I was pretty sure I knew her from Iowa, and not Utah. After I was finished checking out my books, we walked out of the library at the same time, and I asked her, "Who are you?" (Yes, not really couth, but I needed to know who she was.) She said, "Emily." I said, "I KNOW you from Ames! What are you doing here?" She said, "My husband got an internship nearby and we will be here for the summer."

Now let me back up a bit. If you haven't been reading my blog for long, you will know my husband and I lived in Ames, Iowa last year. We were only there for a year, but it was a wonderful year. Everyone at church was so welcoming and kind. We loved the town. We grew up a little bit there because we had no family to rely on, but our ward became our family. We miss our friends. We miss our ward. We miss a lot about Ames. When we moved here to Cedar, I had a really hard time at first because I missed so much about our wonderful year in Ames.

Emily and her husband Pete were in our ward in Ames. Her husband was Aidan's nursery teacher (and he was awesome). Emily was in the Primary presidency, and I was in the Young Women's presidency, so we didn't get many opportunities to get to know each other. When she found out she was moving to Cedar for the summer, some people in the ward told her to call me, but she said, "Erin and I didn't get to talk much. She woudn't even know who I was if I called her."

Since they are only going to be here for three months, they found a place that has cheap rent on a month to month contract, and is furnished. But it is in kind of a questionable area. They only got here on Wednesday night, and they are already having concerns with where they live. Emily was just hoping she could find a stay at home mom that she could hang out with over the summer, because her husband will be gone a lot (and they have a five month old baby boy).

I love how God put us both at the library at the exact same time, less than 48 hours after Pete & Emily moved here. I love how God knew that Emily would need me this summer, because she has no family in Utah and she would likely be lonely. I love how God knew that bringing Emily into my life right now would be like bringing a little piece of Ames back to me for a moment. And now I have the chance to build a new friendship with someone, which I always love. So thank you, God, for reminding me that you care about me and that you watch out for all of us.

43 people wanted to leave a comment:

The Rambler said...

He works in such great and fantastic ways :)

Renshaw Family said...

That is so fun that you ran into Emily. I'm jealous that you get to spend the summer with her :) Now, I have to find a new walking buddy for the summer!

Pam said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience. It is a wonderful example of how the Lord truly does hear and answer our prayers

Anonymous said...

Don't you love tender mercies? It's wonderful to be reminded we are each known and cared for.

Emmy said...

The more I pay attention to my life the more I realize how much God really does step in and help us out and lets us help others if we only let Him.

Katie said...

Very cool....I love experiences like this. Hope you enjoy your summer with her.

Charmaine said...

Awww.... <3 - Tell Emily I said, "Hi!"

Kristina P. said...

Experiences like that always give me goosebumps.

Lara Neves said...

That is so cool...I love it! That happened to me when I moved to Arizona. I ran into an old Visiting Teacher from our BYU ward when we were first married while I was at Target. I had no idea she lived in AZ, because they had gone back east first and I had lost touch. It was so perfect to have her there and sort of close since I had no friends.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

yet another sweet reminder that knows us and our needs..and takes care of us. His hand in everything! Thanks for sharing this. I needed it this morning!

Heidi said...

So neat that this happened and so neat that you recognize where the blessing came from (instead of just assuming it was a coincidence.)

heather said...

I LOVE when things like that happen!

It reminds me of a story that I'm going to go blog about right now. :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

What a neat story! He really is watching out for all of us!
:~D

Desta said...

Speaking of Ames, in Lost, wasn't that where young Kate was when she was stealing the lunch box? It seems like the store said Ames something or other on the sign. Just wondering if you noticed.

Jen said...

I'm so happy for you! I love those moments that let you know God is watching out for you.

Fiauna said...

That is sooo cool! I love when that happens.

Erika said...

When I talked to Emily on Sunday, she didn't mentio that it was Cedar that she was moving to. How funny! Have fun with her. I visit teach her...and haven't done a good job...so can you help me?! Henry is so cute, huh?!

By the way, We miss you too! Ames really is fabulous...and will always be a fond memory in the future!
Hugs!

Christa said...

I think I'm going to share this story in my Primary. It's a great example of listening to the Spirit.

Goob said...

that leaves me a little speechless. What a special moment to be a part of.

Britt said...

That's really neat. It's humbling to realize what a small world we really live in.

Whitney R said...

You can tell someone is super hormonal when this makes them cry...

this is beautiful. Heavenly Father knows us so well and I really have such a strong testimony that he Loves us and desires completely for us to be happy. I'm very glad that you two have each other, because I'm sure that as much of a help you will be to her, she will be to you. :)

Thank you for sharing this.

deb@virginia blue said...

How wonderful for both of you!
I think I got goosebumps reading that...

tammy said...

I love it when things like that happen. My sister happened to make a new friend in her ward one week before her husband was killed in Iraq, and this friend had also lost her first husband years before so she knew exactly what my sister needed. It was such a blessing! Especially because all of our family lived in different states.

Amanda said...

That's just amazing, really.

God and His ways... wow!

Cluttered Brain said...

You live in Cedar City UT?
I am moving to St. George UT in a couple of months. hubby got a job there. Cool that you met one of your long time friends.
:)

Elisa said...

Stories like this are a good reminder to me that God is aware of us all... even if sometimes it seems like he has forgotten us.

lynsie said...

ohhhh, I loved this story Erin! Thank you so much for sharing it! I was up late watching womens conference on DVR last night and a women spoke about how we don't always get these HUGE revelations, or even hear a still small voice, but if we keep our "ears" open we will find him EVERYWHERE and in EVERYTHING. You had your "ears"open. GOOD FOR YOU!

mCat said...

Awesome story and you are so right! He knows us, He knows our needs....

rychelle said...

i love how you recognized the hand of God in this situation. sometimes we tend to overlook Him.

Just SO said...

That is such a great thing! It just made me smile and my heart swell a little larger for both you and Emily. Very cool.

Lee said...

Wow, that's so lucky! This will give you two the chance to get to know eachother better, too.
What are the odds of that? That's crazy!

Amanda said...

I love that. Heavenly Father really does watch out for us doesn't he?

Heather of the EO said...

I love this, Erin! God is so good.

Christine said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww, that's so amazing!

Tracey said...

Emily is great! I was thinking of writing and telling you that they were going to be there this summer, but it looks like that wasn't necessary ;) Henry is a real cutie too. Have fun getting to know Emily better!

Kayla said...

I'm sure everyone's already said this, but that's so awesome! I love stuff like that. The world is small, after all, especially when you're Mormon.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

That is amazing. I love how God works, don't you?

Melanie Jacobson said...

What a lovely blessing.

rich and steph said...

What a wonderful opportunity:)

Heather (wife, mom) said...

What a great story! It just brought a tear to my eye and I just HAD to comment. Thanks for sharing and have a great summer getting to know each other. Friends are the BEST!

Kathy P said...

Erin, I love this!!! Do you mind if I use it on my Real Angels, Real Life blog??

Great story!

Jen said...

How wonderful! There are so many blessings that come our way and I'm grateful you are able to see his hand in your lives. Too often we don't give credit to where credit is due. God is good.

Jessi said...

I read this a while ago and never commented because when I was done, I was totally crying. I know it sounds dumb but THANK YOU for sharing this story. It does remind us that maybe we could be the answer to someone else's prayers. You never know. I'm so glad you have found a familiar friend down there in Cedar.