Monday, December 22

On the Tenth Day of Christmas I Posted on My Blog

TEN NATIVITY PIECES

I do not own a regular nativity set. I had never even paid attention to the fact that I don't have one until this year, when I saw pictures of people's on their blogs. Plus, in years past we didn't have anywhere to put one. Maybe I'll have to look for after Christmas sales...

...anyway...

We do have a special activity that includes a laminated nativity set with magnets on the back. Starting December 13, we pull out of an envelope a piece of nativity and a piece of paper with a related scripture and read it as a family. Then the boys put that piece of nativity on the fridge, and anxiously await the next evening so they can put the next nativity piece on the fridge. It has been a great way to read the story of Jesus' birth a few versus at a time, so it isn't overwhelming or long-winded for our kids. By day 10 everything is on the fridge except for two things: the baby Jesus and the "Merry Christmas" sign with the picture of Mary holding her baby. I didn't want you to feel like something was missing, so I pulled them out early just for this picture:

25 people wanted to leave a comment:

Kristen said...

I love this idea and the way you display a piece each day

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Vanessa said...

This one is perfect! Especially for little hands that must touch everything!

Vanessa said...

This one is perfect! Especially for little hands that must touch everything!

Vanessa said...

This one is perfect! Especially for little hands that must touch everything!

Brooke said...

I have one like this, too, but I forgot to get it out this year! I love this. We got a nativity our first year of marriage because Rusty insisted. I never thought about it, because we never had one growing up, but we love it. Our kids love it. So worth the money to buy a nativity.

Kristina P. said...

I don't even have one of these! Reading all the blogs about nativities makes me feel guilty. But not really. I just say that so I look like I'm a good person.

Suzie said...

Very nice

Kate said...

I love it. I have one of those on my fridge too, but we don't do the story with it but it just helps us to remember.

Jan said...

Such a cute idea. To be reminded everytime we open our fridge. That is so cool.

Annette Lyon said...

This is the kind of thing kids just love. What great way to keep the point of Christmas in mind for them.

rachel said...

I love this idea. Especially with my toddler. We have three different nativities and this year all three baby Jesus' are missing from her carrying them around. Merry Christmas Erin- I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

That's so fun for your kids! What a great idea. I also think that house with all the lights is amazing!

Lara Neves said...

I think this is great! Did you make it? Where did you get it?

Adrienne said...

oooo...I want one. Do you have a pattern to copy or something? My kids would love this?

rychelle said...

what a great set to have with children!

Heidi said...

That's a great idea! Someone brought a Little People plastic/rubber set to sharing time for primary on Sunday and you should have seen the kids flock around it. Even the ten year old boys were playing with it. This phenonmenon explains why most of my dozen or so nativity sets ended up with too many broken pieces. I am down to three now, and they go up high.

Heather of the EO said...

What a great idea. I love this. I've been trying to think of ways to make the whole nativity thing lots of fun for the boys! Thank you :)

Britt said...

What a fun idea!

Lee said...

Oh wow, that's really sweet.
When I have kids I may do a variation of that. What a great way to teach the kids the story without them getting bored. Even my attention span is horrible sometimes.

Kate said...

I know I already posted on this posting but I wanted to let you know I went and bought the Christmas cd Jingles with Voice Male. I love it, you are right Rudolph is hilarious. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jessi said...

How crafty are you! That is SUCH a great idea! I may steal it for next year... but I'll need someone to draw the pieces for me. I am by NO MEANS an artist! ha ha

Barbaloot said...

Just came over here from Becky's blog-and I must say, you had me at closet ANTM fan.

Kayla said...

I hope you find a great deal on a Nativity!

Az Kelms said...

What a great idea. Love it!

Silly Shermans said...

Seagull book usually has really cheap and neat nativity sets before christmas...i love that one for the fridge though, what a great tradition!