Monday, May 11

Life Callings

Some of you wondered how I would do "living in the moment" over the last week...Monday I got a raging cold, spent the next three days somewhat miserable, and then Ethan came down with a nasty ear infection (in the ear that just lost the tube like two weeks before). It was a rough week! But we'll survive. Okay, on with today's post:


My life is a gift; my life has a plan.

My life has a purpose; in heav'n it began.
My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth
And seek for God's light to direct me from birth.
(words from the Primary song "I Will Follow God's Plan")


In Carol Lynn Pearson's new book, called No More Goodbyes, there is a paragraph that really resonated with me.

Recently in sacrament meeting (Sunday service) in my ward (local congregation), our visiting high councilman, Brother Marostica, spoke about callings. He reminded us that in early Christianity, a calling was something different from the callings we receive today from the bishop to serve as a teacher or work in the nursery or in the Cub Scouts. "That larger kind of calling," he said, "is one you receive directly from God, one you are guided to by the Holy Spirit, designed specifically for you to bless the world."

After reading this paragraph, I pondered for quite a while on what my calling or callings in life are. Why am I really here? What is it that I am meant to do that will bless the world?

That night, as we went to bed, I was still thinking about it. Often, after we turn the lights out, Christian and I lay side by side in bed, holding hands and talking (I love having a psychologist husband. He is willing - and often wants - to talk, and we frequently have deep conversations). I asked him what my calling in life might be. He said, "Well, I think it's obvious." I was like, "Oh really? Enlighten me then." And he said, "What are your talents? What are your gifts of the Spirit?" I had never put together in my mind the fact that my talents and gifts might be directly related to the things I am specifically here to do. (One of my talents is teaching the youth. I always seem to have a youth calling, in addition to teaching piano, and I love it.) We spoke late into the night about this.

Have you thought about what your calling in life is? Or a slightly easier question, what your talents and/or gifts on earth are?

31 people wanted to leave a comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I do that, too. I love that part of the day.

I wonder about what my calling is. I don't have talents or gifts that are easily identified. The only thing I am really good at (besides playing piano for everyone and everything) is babies. Which is ironic considering I am barren after so many miscarriages. Boo.
Nevertheless, I am awesome with babies and all that comes with them, from breastfeeding to incessant crying jags, but I don't know what to do with that! I have often thought about being a labor & delivery nurse like my mom, but I am not smart enough to get through nursing school (no, really).
I admit I feel frustrated by this question.

Kristina P. said...

I think that it's to be able to understand people from all walks of life, and be able to help them for one small part of that. I've always been sympathetic and empathetic towards others.

Cynthia said...

I LOVE that you posted this and that you're even thinking about it. It's a HUGE thing in my life. I was promised in a certain P-Blessing that I had "great potential and to strive all the days of my life to reach it".

I have UNUSUAL talents that used to drive me crazy but now mean a lot to me. Whenever someone talks about ADD it's with a negative twist- like it's this awful thing. Well, guess what? We ADD folks have a great talent for out-of-the-box thinking and the energy to push those ideas into reality. When I pair myself with someone who loves boring detail and use my big-picture thinking, we can (and have) accomplished huge things.

My talent is for finding the road less traveled and making.

I love the book Strengths Finder 2.0 because it's based on the theory that we are all most successful when we play to our strengths and work around our weaknesses rather than using the energy trying to 'overcome' the weaknesses. If you want more insight, get that book!

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I love talking with my husband. It makes the hard day slip away.

I have tried to think of what my calling is, but I usually get so caught up in the everyday stuff that it is difficult to see the forest through the trees. I am sure, once I am out of the baby stages, that I would have a little more insight. But, probably not ;)

Cynthia said...

And we ADD people sometimes struggle to finish a thought when we relish a topic! What I was saying above is:

My talent is for finding the road less traveled and blazing a trail for others to follow.

Jan said...

I love that you have a husband like that, mine falls asleep as soon as I say What?

I think this is a a beautiful topic. I think sometimes we all lay back and ponder life's questions and think about our purpose. It is so healthy and so vital. I think our patriarcal blessing gives clues, but life experiences is the living between the blessings lines.

Take care and hope you had a lovely day yesterday :)

Christa said...

I'm sorry about the sickness. We've had the creeping crud at our house. Again. My baby is running a fever right now.

This is a question that is really difficult for me to answer. It's one I ask myself all the time too. I'm not sure what my talents or gifts of the spirit are. I know I'm capable of doing some things, I just don't know if I'm good at them. I struggle daily with feelings if inadequacy. I need to learn to stop being so hard on myself and recognize the good I have.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Great post, Erin! I especially liked reading that your husband is a psychologist. Such great insight into your life. My guy frequently is quite the opposite. Off to bed, and it is lights out. No small talk.

As for my talents, that is something I am no longer sure of. I think that it is something that I definitely need to give some serious consideration to.

-Francesca

Just SO said...

In our earlier years of marriage my husband and I would lay and talk as well. With a looming early morning we rarely do that anymore and I miss it.

As for my gifts? I used to be so sure of some and as I have come up against some very hurtful and difficult situations my surety has been shaken. I'm working to get that back.

One of the gifts that I am pretty certain of still is the ability to see the good in people. Or to have an understanding of where someone is "coming from". My husband tells me that it's just me making excuses for people and their stupidity. I beg to differ.

Jillene said...

I am a lot like Christa. I feel inadequate most of the time. I should not be so hard on myself but I continue to do so. I am feeling like a bum right now because I am in charge of our Angel Auction next Thursday I have nothing ready or in order.

Charmaine said...

Ooo, I like this... I'm going to have to think about this one for a little bit.

Kate said...

I have thought about this and I am still thinking. I hope that somehow I can bless the world though. Great post.

Lara Neves said...

Excellent thought provoking post, Erin! I know that I have "callings" in music and art, for sure. But I often wonder what my gifts and talents are beyond that.

You have neglected to tell us what your life callings might be. :)

Christine said...

I recognized when I was fairly young that I enjoy being a support person. And I'm good at it too.
My calling in life is definitely to be there for my husband. Apparently he's going to spend his life suffering in one way or another, and I totally feel like the Lord sent me here to take care of him.

Loralee and the gang... said...

So, if I list what my talents and gifts are, which would be starting with the easiest thing first, and then move on to analyize those gifts, then maybe I could discover what my calling in life really is? I will ponder that. . . because I really do want to know.
:~D

Anonymous said...

I do ponder on stuff like that, and though I used to think that my talents were wasting away while I slaved away at motherhood, I've come to realize that when it comes to being a mom, I'll use any resources I have at my disposal.

I don't know that I have a specific calling in life, but I do know that I love being a mom.

Fiauna said...

Hmmm. Good, pondering question. I was told in a certain blessing that I would teach all ages. So far (in church anyway) that has meant children. But who knows. I think that writing my true, honest thoughts and experiences for others to read is a way of teaching.

I shall ponder this more ...

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow. I don't think I can answer those questions here and now in a blog comment. Talk about thought-provoking. I'm going to have to mull that over for a bit.

Amanda - The Mom Job said...

I'm so sorry you spent your week sick. *SAD FACE*

It's good to keep your "path" in check, ya know? Keep asking yourself, "ok self, where from here?"

Obviously, your children are a wonderful outlet for your particular calling. I wish I had that type of patience, but... sigh... I soooo don't.

My calling seems to be writing. But, what to do with that is beyond me...

Elisa said...

My calling is to be an advocate for the less fortunate.

in time out said...

this is beautiful. I have missed coming by and reading. always a lift to my soul. take care, and keep sharing. hugs..♥

in time out said...

yep, school is almost out...whoo hoo.. so, maybe I can work on their study habits for the last few weeks. smile. thanks Erin. nice comment, much appreciated.

Katie said...

This will definitely provide some food for thought today. I think one of my talents is to relate to and work well with kids. I use this regularly while working in primary, and with all sorts of nieces and nephews. Hopefully soon it will be put to good use when we start our own family.

Wonder Woman said...

I was just talking with someone yesterday about my husband's Calling, which at this time corrosponds with his actual calling.

I think music is a calling of mine, as well as friendship. I have a strong desire for all who know me to know they can call me anytime for anything. I think I need to be better about letting people know I'm there for them.

I read "Good bye, I love you," by CLP a few months ago. It was eye-opening and heart-wrenching. Jenna at Cranberry Corner (http://cranberrycorner.blogspot.com/) turned me on to her. (Sorry, I don't know how to imbed that!)

Love this post.

Heidi said...

Yes, I know and I think about it a lot. Some of it was obvious (the Big Guy, an' all) but some of it I had to glean from my patriarchal blessing, etc. Nothing gives me greater joy than when I am using my talents to fulfill my individual calling. (sorry you had such a sicko week!)

charrette said...

I LOVE pondering this...the larger, more visionary, life-spanning, calling-with-a-capital-C calling. My MIL gave a talk on this at a BYU devotional. She called it Personal Ministry. I'd love to send it to you. Maybe email me with your email address?

Lee said...

I've always wanted to help people through grammar.
It sounds stupid, but so many people are illiterate in this country.

Anonymous said...

This post really made me think. I love it. But after reading all the excellent comments. I have nothing to add.

Except you are lucky to have a husband who's a talker!

Goob said...

good topic! Its got me thinking about so many things

Becca said...

That whole husband/psychologist thing is really cool. I would love a few more deep conversations with my hubby every now and then. You've given me some good food for thought today. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I didn't see this post when I was here earlier today reading the other one.

Lee's comment about grammar made me laugh. I met Kristina P. (virtually) when I corrected a spelling on her blog, and instead of being offended she was "sympathetic and empathetic" towards me -- I just didn't know at the time that reflected her life calling. :)

I used to love talking with my husband at night, but now we both stay up too late and although I'm still talkative when I'm tired, he falls asleep. It would be a good reason for him and me to reform our night owl ways -- but at least we have nice conversations when we go out on dates.

Carol Lynn Pearson lives in the Bay Area, right? And there can't be very many Marosticas there, so I'm pretty sure I know the high councilor she's quoting, who was in our Berkeley ward (and did tend to give memorable talks.) (I wouldn't have guessed I'd mention Berkeley twice in comments on your blog today.)

I'm a little surprised to find myself in a minority by feeling pretty certain about several aspects of my life calling -- in fact, it's making me realize that knowledge in and of itself is a gift of the Spirit. There are undiscovered aspects I'm sure, but motherhood is a very big one, as well as missionary work, family history, writing and other forms of creativity, etc.