When my four year old Aidan was born, I was thrilled. And exhausted. And baby bluesy. When he was three weeks old, I was changing a poopy diaper and saw blood in it. I called the pediatrician immediately, and they told me to bring him in, along with the diaper, so they could look at it. They were pretty confident it was a milk intolerance, so they told me if I wanted to continue nursing, I would have to cut all milk and dairy products out of my diet, including anything with milk proteins in it. This includes anything with the words "casein" or "whey" in the ingredient list.
Did you know taco seasoning has a milk protein in it? Did you know hot dogs have a milk protein in them, unless it is the Hebrew National brand? It seems like just about everything has a milk protein in it these days. Just read the labels. Also, can you imagine not eating anything with cheese? Can you imagine not eating ice cream, for heaven sake? For me, that was a very sad day.
I felt very strongly about continuing to nurse my child. I cried every day for the first two months. I mourned the loss of my daily Kit Kat. I searched high and low for things I could eat. (It didn't help that for the first few weeks the doctor thought it could be a wheat/gluten intolerance too so for three weeks I ate nothing but chicken and vegetables.) He continued to have blood in every dirty diaper for five weeks. I continued to cry as I watched what I ate. My husband begged me to stop nursing and just bottle feed him. I refused, because I wanted to do this for my son.
I slowly found things I could eat: anything with the word "parve" or "pareve" on it (it's a Jewish term meaning no dairy, I believe). Big Hunk candy bars. Twizzlers. And then I found a margarine-like product called Nucoa. Yes, even margarine has a dairy product in it. But Nucoa is parve. And on the back of the container of cocoa powder (which has no dairy or milk proteins) I found a recipe for brownies. I could finally make something chocolatey using Nucoa and cocoa powder! Once I found this recipe, and Tofutti Cutie ice cream sandwiches, I enjoyed eating again and my weight stabilized. But at my lowest weight, I was six feet tall and 130 pounds.
When my son turned six months old, his pediatrician told me I could slowly, just once a day for a couple of weeks, have a little bit of dairy to see if his body had outgrown the intolerance. My very first dairy product after nearly six months? One stick of a Kit Kat bar. And it was heaven. I slowly eased back into dairy, and luckily, Aidan never had a problem again.
These days, Aidan eats all of the dairy products he wants. And I learned that if I have determination, I can do anything.

P.S. I am submitting this to Scribbit's write-away contest. Oh, and I believe that every mother has the right to choose whether she breastfeeds or bottle feeds her child. I personally felt very strongly about nursing mine.



44 people wanted to leave a comment:
Wow. Great writing. And I'm impressed by your willingness to give up all of those little things that brought you enjoyment so you could stick with doing what you felt was important. I'm not a mom, and I don't really have an opinion on breastfeeding, but I still think it's cool that you felt strongly enough about it to make that sacrifice. Good luck with the contest!
You don't use green onions!?! (from the Ethanism) I seriously cannot believe that.
But more on subject: I think that's the ultimate sacrifice, sort of. I've nursed all three for a year each and for a while with Aaron I wondered if there might be some problem, but I was unwilling to do anything about it. I seriously don't think I could give up all those foods. I hope I could if it really came down to it, but I really am so selfish, I'm not so sure about it. Fortunately he was okay after a a week or so.
You're awesome. I would have PIGGED OUT when the doctor gave me the go-ahead. :)
It never ceases to amaze me what we do for our children!
I was on complete bedrest with each of mine: from the day I found out I was pregnant until the day they were born. A total of 15 months in a 2.5 year period.
I applaud you for sticking with breastfeeding. I am a huge breastfeeding advocate, and I know how hard it is to stick with it sometimes. Way to go. :)
And I thought going off dairy for a week was hard. You are superwoman!
I feel like you do. While I can nurse, I will.
Good for you! Not many mothers would be able to make that sacrifice! I LOVE cheese, that would be so hard for me.
I have yet to find a man that would convince me to give up chocolate!
Haha! Loved Barb's comment. I would probably rather bottle feed than give up chocolate.
I was bottlefed and look how I turned out! OK, maybe I'm not the best example.
I agree! I have nursed all seven of mine.. what a great sacrifce!
great post..good luck!
MOST impressive. If this happened to me, I'd react similarly. Keep nursing, and mourn the loss of all the food you love.
But using this for a diet isn't a bad idea....
good luck with write-away!
Truly a HUGE sacrifice. I dont' know if I would have been strong enough!!
I had to give up all tomato products when nursing O. Anything with tomato in it was out for me. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but I think you had it harder!!
I never had any difficulties when nursing my children. Other than the difficulty learning how to do it the first time around. It was much easier with each child after. I think it's fantastic you were willing to go to such extremes for your child. I don't think there are very many women who would. Sadly, I might be one of the ones who wouldn't.
I remember those days. I remember how badly you wanted pizza and being so happy for you when you got to eat dairy. You're awesome for sticking it out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have.
You have amazing will power.
And I love your angle on this topic.
all i can say is, I hear ya. thanks for getting me through those times with dairy free chocolate chips and tofutti cuties. i think i actually gained weight during that time because i was so obsessed with finding treats i could eat -- that i sure found them!
Wow...now that is love! That would be hard for me...I love ice cream. And chocolate. And just about everything with dairy in it.
Oh wow, that is such a huge sacrifice! I'm such a picky eater to begin with I'm not sure I could do the same. You're amazing. =)
Erin,
I have missed you! Only because of me. I have been out of town and it's been quite crazy, but I am trying to catch up on your blog. It's always difficult to keep up with someone when you are not at your own house and it is crazy. I loved this post (and the other ones I am reading, of course :) I didn't have as difficult a time as you did with having to basically give up food, but nursing has had it's difficulties for me as well. I basically cried each time I nursed my last baby for at least two months because of the pain (she wouldn't latch on right). I kept thinking nursing should be easier if it is so natural, right? I am so glad I read this because I did stick with it (well, not with my first because the thrush wouldn't go away and it was miserable), but I want to congratulate you for fighting through the odds. I don't have anything against formula (I have done it myself), but there is something so wonderful about nursing... even if it can be torturous at times :) Thanks for sharing :)
Love this post! It's it fabulous how we'll do anything for these little people that we just met?!
My daughter was super fussy her first few weeks of life. I mean, she would cry for hours at night while the husband was sleeping. It was my own private misery- I would just cry with her. I used my nights of not sleeping to do internet research and came across the 'no dairy' approach. It totally sucked, but I did it and it helped. My mom told me I was crazy, but I was willing to do it if it meant she was not going to scream at me. With this second one, so far so good. I just keep praying that his little belly will be okay even though I've already tried to tapper off my dairy consumption.
What is it about breastfeeding?! My husband offered this past weekend to bottle feed him over night for me, but I just couldn't let him do it. Is it that it's free? Or is it a control thing? Or is it that we know it's the best for them? I really, honestly don't know what it is for me. I love that everything that he needs, I can provide.
Wow- sorry, I just kept typing there... both of the small ones are sleeping. :)
That is a great essay/post. Wow--you are quite a mom!
Now THAT is motherly love!
Whey… No-Whey!
I've heard of curds and whey, but never "casein" and whey.
Butter… Parve…
Is that pronounced like par-vay? If it is, that's pretty funny.
So glad to hear that he's not lactose intolerant.
What a gift and a sacrifice you offered for your sweet boy! I'm glad that he can eat dairy now too. You rock :)
oh my heck! (pardon the utah-ness of my greeting)
sounds like the exact same thing I went through, just add a severely torn nipple and a breast pump and a bunch of nursing guilt and we could be twins!
Thank heavens for tofutti!!!!!
I breastfed all my children. I didn't love it but I believed it was the best for them. I'm glad I didn't have to give up all the foods I love, but maybe I would have lost weight. I only gave up broccoli.
That's amazing! I always wanted to breastfeed but told myself that I wouldn't let myself go insane with it if it wasn't working out. 15 minutes after Anders was born he immediately latched and ate for 20 minutes. The second I took him off he burped loud enough for all of the nurses in the room to hear it and start laughing. I am sooooo thankful that he took to it so well. Now that I know how important and special it is, I can't imagine not doing it with any of my future children no matter what the sacrifice. So I completely understand how you feel! You're amazing and I'm glad that atleast with my first, it was so easy because now I know that I will always breastfeed my children.
Oh man, that would be torture for me!
But at least you can eat dairy again, right?
I didn't even know that babies could have an intolerance because of what the mother eats.
Learn something new everyday.
Erin, you are a wonderful writer...and an amazing mom!
Erin,
I admire your dedication to nursing. Not many moms take the time or effort any more to breastfeed. And you had to give up your faves, I don't know If I would be strong enough! All I can say is the kids I nursed the longest, are the healthiest now! Proof is in the pudding, non-dariy pudding that is.
What a good Mama you are. I love to breastfeed my babies too.
But, to give up cheese...that is sacrifice!
I'm almost crying just thinking about having to give up all of that! It is so true though that we CAN do what we have to when the motivation is high enough.
Man, at 6', 130 lbs. you must have been skin and bones! I've had two neighbors with Celiac's Disease (wheat allergies) and they've said the same thing- you just don't realize it's in EVERYTHING.
There better be some eternal payoff for a sacrifice like that! LOL!
I feel for you. I have had to give up lots of foods I loved during my 3rd trimester of both pregnancies due to gestational diabetes. So I completely understand. It is all about the baby and not yourself. I also had tons of trouble breastfeeding Keira because I couldn't produce enough milk. EVER. After 3 weeks of feeding and pumping and having a constantly crying, starving baby, I gave up and bottle fed. I didn't even try with Elaina. I am proud of you that you stuck to your guns and kept going. The things we do that they will probably not appreciate until they have their own kids!
I thought I have heard a lot of nursing stories, but this is a new one! What an experience. I LOVE the "mourning of the loss of the daily Kit Kat" !! You are so great...
anyway, what a diet. 130 lbs is incredible for that height. Hmmmmm.....
nah..... nevermind.
Erin, good for you for continuing to breast feed your little one! I would be torn not to have chocolate. Anyway, I'm glad I came across your blog. I love it! You are such an amazing writer. I am now following!
~Lynette
Being a mom is the ultimate sacrifice. Especially when chocolate is on the line (at least, for you...for me it would have been caramel).
Wonderful entry.
For me it was peanut butter and eggs that gave poor Milo bloody poops. He can now eat eggs, but no peanuts. It's such a bummer. Louie and I don't have any food allergies, neither does Cal. I was determined to have Milo get over his peanut allergy, but the other day he accidentally had a mini peanut butter cup, and his little eyes got swollen, and his nostrils too. Scary! We were super bummed that his allergy is real. Anyway, that was longer than I meant it to be.
I'm glad Aidan is ship-shape.
Now I finally know what parve means. I've always wondered. I'm glad to hear that the allergy went away. Good for you for doing that for your son. You're such a good mommy.
And good luck with Scribbits. I've thought of doing that too, but have been too nervous.
I did a combination of both breastfeeding and bottles with all 5 kids due to work. I loved breastfeeding the most and it was the best diet for me! I cannot imagine having to give up so many beloved foods. My 3rd son had blood in his stool at 9 months, they ran lots of tests and could not find anything out. Then at 11 months he pooped out a ball bearing!!! It was the cleanest one you have ever seen and he has not bled again and he is 9.
Wow, way to go! You should also check out the Good Housekeeping short story contest. (My mother-in-law bought me a subscription to good housekeeping- hmmm subtle hint?)
I also had a special diet when I started nursing my first son. My milk never came in strong so my dr put me on a 3,000 calorie a day diet. My milk supply stayed low, but I gained 10 lbs. I cried for different reasons. Luckily nursing came more easily the second time around. Alright I think this comment is now a short story.
I can totally commiserate!!!!!!! My first baby would turn SO colicky if I ate even a smidgen of chocolate. I gave it up and it was SOOOOOOOOOOO hard!!! Love this, and it is totally worth it to do ANYTHING to keep bfing, you rock!
My twins are dairy no-no's. I discovered nucoa last week, along with rice dream (because soy is just not as good as rice when it comes to milk.) I'm hoping to continue to find foods I can eat, because it sucks trying to get enough calories to breastfeed two boys when you cut out my daily milkshake, and my 10 freshbaked nestle tollhouse chocolate chip cookies with a big glass of wholemilk.
But I'm with you- I really want to breastfeed my boys, I think they need it. and I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed breastfeeding my boys until I was threatened with not being able to.
I really admire that you stuck with it. I personally had to go off milk for Sofia for a month and I thought I would die. It is amazing what we do for our children. Breastfeeding is the best. Glad you stuck with it.
I don't know if you'll see this comment all this time later (I'm very behind in Reader and slowly catching up) but my oldest has a milk allergy (not an intolerance but a real allergy with swelling face and hive and such,) but we didn't discover it until he was weaned -- I'll bet he wouldn't have been the urpingest baby ever if I'd gone off milk. So when my second had colic, I did like you did and went off milk completely for a year. I was sort of used to using milk substitutes because of my son (Asian food is good for eating out since they don't cook with milk much,) but the hardest thing was that we were living in a ward that had a lot of potlucks AND a lot of fabulous cooks but there was always milk in everything -- even the salads would have a sprinkling of blue cheese. I'd have to eat chips and salsa and stare longingly at everyone else's fabulous food.
You are a GREAT mom! I've been missing caffeine - a personal choice not to use while nursing - but I can't imagine all the other stuff!
Post a Comment