Friday, November 12

One Day at a Time

This is what my kitchen sink and counter looks like right now.

If my kitchen is clean, the rest of my house feels manageable. No matter how dirty it actually is. As long as my kitchen is clean.

The problem is, my kitchen hasn't been clean since Kaitlyn was born. Oh sure, sometimes the dishes are all in the dishwasher, but there are pans piling sky high on the countertop (I hate washing pans). Or someone spilled something sticky on the floor and I wasn't quite thorough enough while cleaning it up (this time it was Kaitlyn's foot who spilled the sticky juice, and I don't have the energy to wash my floor in its entirety). I'm noticing the pile of clean laundry sitting on the couch, and the piles amassing on my hope chest - are they clean? are they dirty? - kind of sitting in laundry limbo.

I need to make a decision about which day I will do group piano lessons during Thanksgiving week. I need to plan group piano lessons. My shower is growing things; where is the Lysol cleaner? I have a book I want to read sitting on the shelf. People keep e-mailing me, asking if I would like to review things. I don't even take the time to e-mail friends back when they e-mail me (sorry about that everyone), let alone decide whether I would like to review anything and get back with them.

Some moments, life feels completely overwhelming as the to-do list gets longer and longer, even when I try to chip away at it one chore at a time.

I talked to Christian about it, and he reminded me that I felt this way with both Ethan and Aidan until they stopped nursing (aka when they turn one and are a teeny bit more independent).

Sometimes, when I'm in the thick of it, I feel like I'm drowning and will never get out.

But then I realize that time really is fleeting, and Kaitlyn will be toddling before long. And my house will be clean(er) once again.

I'm going to go give Kaitlyn some loves and kisses now.

And maybe start the dishwasher.

17 people wanted to leave a comment:

The Yoder's Five said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

Just SO said...

I remember those days very well. Enjoy your baby time with Kaitlyn.

Karen E. said...

I love your attitude!

Kaylynn said...

I'm still overwhelmed and my baby is three--but then I think motherhood is just overwhelming!

Sher said...

This is exactly why I pretty much dropped off the face of the planet in blogland. Life is so crazy, and it comes at you from all directions all at the same time. And the worst part is no matter how much you do, and how hard you work, it is NEVER done.

p.s. if I never clean anything else, I always do my dishes first. I agree, having the dishes done makes me feel like the house is somewhat under control.

Anonymous said...

I'll come over and help! I've always been great at helping other people clean. It's cleaning my own stuff that I have a hard time with.

But I also found it was easier once I wasn't nursing.

mCat said...

Good choice - this times goes way too fast!

Lara Neves said...

You know what, he's right. Everything will be there for you. Dishes, laundry, email, etc. when you are ready for it. It's been hard for me to accept that in my life (that hasn't really gotten much easier since Sophia was born, sorry to say...) but I'm really starting to understand the wisdom behind not running faster than we are able.

Jen said...

Sometimes I think I can't wait for Corbin to grow up and be more independent so I can get something done, then I think I never want him to leave this adorable baby stage. But it's so hard when things keep piling up. I just had a mile-long to-do list crisis. (Lists help me feel better about my life.)

And I only have one....

Cynthia said...

I agree about the dishes...I always feel better with a clean kitchen. But more important is to hug your Kaitlyn and enjoy is time with her!

Az Kelms said...

Yes, they grow up too quickly that is for sure. If there was one thing that I learned when I had my twins, was that the house didn't always have to be spotless clean. It didn't matter to the babies' happiness. They would rather have me play with them then watching me doing the dishes every night. Enjoy your little girl now while she is still so little, there will be time enough later on to do the dishes!

Melanie Jacobson said...

I'm right there with you, sister.

P.S. My WV is "chomp." How cool is that?

LisAway said...

Right on! Times and seasons. It's all so true. Love your baby and try not to care that your socks are sticking every time you step (until you're able to deal with that). Chipping away. That's what it's all about.

Going to the temple, that house of order, really put things into perspective for me and I am going to be better about keeping my own house in order. And here I am sneaking time on the computer and quickly catching up with you, when I'm supposed to have the computer off until the allotted time. Oh well. It helps me to read posts like this! Spencer is only nursing 4 times in 24 hours now and is almost starting to walk for real so I'm where you will be in a few months. Over here where things start to get more manageable.

Emmy said...

Time and season for everything :)

Sara Hickman designs said...

I completely agree with the whole if only the kitchen is clean ... it's the same way here.

In fact my kitchen is needing some attention as well. To think I just had it spotless 4 days ago! I even mopped. It was a day when Daddy spent all his time with our Kaitlyn. I think I will blame the dirt elves.

Have a terrific Thursday!

New Follower. If you want to stop by and follow back that would be great!

www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com
www.touchofhomelearning.blogspot.com

Sara said...

Oh, AND, if my kitchen is clean and I've spent lots of QT with the family, there have been ZERO blog posts in the last 3 weeks.

Sometimes I wonder about myself...

eh. I'm just trying to live in the now. :)

KellyAnne said...

You just verbalized exactly how I've been feeling. Thanks for reminding me that
1. it's normal
and
2. it will pass
Sometimes, when you're drowning, it's easy to forget that!
Here's to living in the (albeit MESSY) moment!
Snuggle those babies, right? :)