Thursday, February 9

The Big Move: School

Out of everything I possibly could have been concerned about, changing schools on my boys was probably my biggest concern.  I particularly loved Ethan's teacher, Mrs. Riesen, because she did such an exellent job of helping Ethan excel.  (Yes, I cried when I said goodbye to her.)  Everyone said we were moving at a good age for our children, because they are resilient and can bounce back pretty quickly.  And, overall that has been true.  They both say they have a few friends already, and when it was warm when we first moved here (it reached the mid 50s for a couple of days!) they had kids knocking on the door, asking if Ethan or Aidan could play.  So I am really relieved about this.

There have been, however, some MAJOR differences between their old school and their new one.  The biggest immediate concern for Ethan was that in his school in Utah, they didn't learn cursive until fourth grade (being in third grade, he hadn't learned it yet).  But in their new school, the students had all learned it at the beginning of third grade, and are now writing paragraphs in cursive.  So Ethan has had to start from the beginning.  It has been hard on him, especially since he is used to being at the top of the class in whatever subject they are learning.  He has a cursive workbook, and every night I have him do two or three pages. 

Also, in Utah, our school was a Title I school.  I think this means they get government funding for a lot of stuff.  All I know is that I hardly had to purchase anything at the beginning of the school year for my kids, but when we got here, they gave me a list nearly a page long of specific things I had to purchase for first grade and third grade.  (Specific stuff, like "5 two-pocket folders, in green, blue, purple, yellow and red" and "hand-held pencil sharpener with enclosure.")  I also had to purchase both boys gym shoes, that they only wear to P.E.  I spent nearly a hundred bucks at Target purchasing all that stuff!  Plus, there was a $75 book fee per kid (I only had to pay for half of it, since we are halfway through the school year).  We never had book fees in Utah.  Basically, I'm saying elementary school was free in Utah, and costs lots of money here.  However, the school district here is one of the top rated districts in the state, and it shows.

We live a block away from the school, and the boys get to walk.  I've been walking them and picking them up most days, which is great.  (Great for me and Kaitlyn to get outside for a few minutes, and to catch up on the boys' day as we walk home.)  We live close enough that I can see the playground from my front door, but far enough away that I can't hear the kids screaming at recess when I'm in the house.

My boys have officially been to their new school seven times, and still about every other day one of them will sniffle and say, "I miss my friends from Utah," or, "I miss my teacher."  It will take a little while, but we'll all get used to this new school.  And we'll still remember our friends (and their classmates and teachers) fondly.  Sniff sniff.

8 people wanted to leave a comment:

Kristina P. said...

Moving is hard. But I think that if they have friends and have the social part down, the other part will come much more easily.

Grace Alexander said...

I moved a lot growing up. I went to a new school every couple of years. The first few years were fairly easy for me to adjust and fairly easy to make friends. It sounds like the kids already have a few friends and I'm sure it will get easier and easier for them. It was when we moved in middle school that it became hard on me. Then, High School came. I went to 4 different schools. That was beyond hard.

P.S. I'm glad you're back to blogging more. I, for one, missed catching up. Glad all is well for you!

The Yoder's Five said...

I really do think North Elementary is a great little school, even though it's old and Title 1 and all that. The teachers are awesome, the class sizes are small and there's a lot of school spirit. Not to mention the new science program they're starting next year! Hope the new school turns out to be just as great!!

PS. I am nervous for you and what's sure to be a much heavier load of church responsibility!! Good luck! I'd probably be really grouchy about all that stuff, haha...

Rachel said...

WOW, such an adjustment! We had it the opposite where the first school was so ahead and moved to small town Utah where my daughter totally regressed. It's a hard change but it sounds like you guys are doing well! Good luck!

Unknown said...

We also go to a school that is heavily funded, so we have lots of great programs but don't really pay much for anything. That would be a really hard switch. I am glad everything seems to be working out for you so far. Such a big adjustment!

Juannaelmi said...

It sounds like they are doing well. And it seems like your boys are so smart they will be back on top in no time :) If you would like something to compare it to, Nate still asks when we are moving back to Utah. He doesn't remember his friends anymore, or much about our life there, but he is sure it was much better than here. He also has convinced Ella of this and now she also asks.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Sounds like a lot of good stuff on the horizon, but oh yes, that rough bits in between can be rough indeed. Hope that new friends dull the homesickness soon (for you as well as your boys!).

Jessie said...

Aw, the school part is hard. Calvin has some pals here, but he still wants to go back and "visit" Utah and the very few friends he even had there. Utah schools stink, though, so we are happy he's in a school with more opportunities. But they do nickel and dime you a bit (ours doesn't do a book fee, though - that's pretty pricey. We just pay extra for field trips and little things).