Tuesday, February 14

Backyard

The backyard of our house in southern Utah was, as I have said many times, about the size of a pea.  The only windows in the main part of the house faced the backyard, and there was a rock wall that was as tall as the roof of the house.  You quite literally felt like you were in a cave because you could see no sky - you could only see giant boulders (and a tiny patch of grass if you looked down).  For example, this picture was taken as I stepped out the door into my backyard:
This picture was taken right after Kaitlyn was born, when the boys were so young.  Sigh.  By the way, they loved the rock wall - climbing on it, perching on it, throwing balls into the crevices so we would have to fish them out.  Christian and I, however, didn't love it so much.

This morning, I took some pictures of my new backyard.  (I took these pictures from my bedroom window upstairs.)
 That rectangular square just inside our fence will be our garden.  I'm so excited to have a garden!  If you look through the branches of the tree, you will see playground #1 in the park.  It has already become a favorite playing place for my boys, even in the cold weather.
 This is looking pretty much straight on, and you can kind of see playground #2 through the branches of the big tree.  There are also swings over there, and a covered shelter with picnic tables.
And here, you can see our pergola where we will put some patio furniture when we can afford it, and off in the distance there are some soccer fields where Aidan can't wait to go play when the weather gets nicer.

I can't wait until summer, when the grass is green and the trees are lush.

Happy sigh.

14 people wanted to leave a comment:

natalie said...

Yay! So glad you are getting settled. I just love your new yard and all the room to move around. It will be beautiful in the summer!

Christine said...

Oh my gosh. Look at all the treeeeeeeees! And man that pergola is awesome, and a garden! Your yard is going to be amazing in the spring! And spring is so soon! I bet flowers grow amazingly in the humidity out there, you should plant tons! I'm so excited for you!

Barbaloot said...

Playgrounds #1 AND #1? AND picnic tables! Sounds (and looks) awesome.

Kristina P. said...

What a great yard! We don't have much, but it's enough. We love having a bit of space.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Even with the snow I can envision the beauty of the place - how lovely!

Jessica G. said...

Is it possible to have yard envy?
Our backyard is tiny and the HOA doesn't want fences so it's wide open, which is pretty annoying when you're trying to BBQ and people are walking by (probably wondering why you didn't invite them over).

Jilly Bean said...

What a great place for your kids to play!! I'm wishing away all that snow for you!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Wow! What a great yard!! (I have to admit, I couldn't seem to get over the sheer size of the rock in the first picture, however).

Jessica B said...

Wow, that looks great!! Your kids are going to love having a yard to play in! And a garden... you'll be loving it!

Jessie said...

Wow, that IS quite the change. Parks and fields? Perfect.
As much as I love the idea of living in a cave (I'm weird about my private space - I like caviness) - that backyard is a great improvement, especially for kids! We need a better yard for ours, for sure.
Enjoy it! It looks lovely.

Adrienne said...

I'm enjoying reading about this change and new adventure in your life! yay for a park in your backyard!

The Yoder's Four said...

Jealoussssss! I was telling Mark yesterday that we'll only have to wait another 3 months for it to thaw out around here so we can plant stuff. I wish I was joking!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

WOW, that looks incredible!!! Come summer, you are gonna be one happy lady. :)

LisAway said...

Oh my! My oh my!! THAT is gonna be awesome! Wow. As a fellow (back when you were in Utah) microscopic yard person, I am seriously happy for your upgrade!