Wednesday, February 15

Tornado Alley

This picture was taken from Ethan's bedroom window.  You can see playground #2 (shown in yesterday's post) and the covered shelter/picnic area in the park.  But if you look at the tree in the center of the picture, you will also notice that it has a bizarre looking thing at the top of the tree.  What is that?  Is it a giant nest?  Is it a collection of garbage that somehow got trapped in the tree?

No, unfortunately no, it isn't.  As we so jarringly found out a week after we moved here, it is a tornado siren.  Apparently, the first Saturday of every month the tornado siren blares.  Starting at noon.  For two long, ear-splitting, unable-to-carry-a-conversation minutes.

The funniest/scariest part?  I had put Kaitlyn down for a nap only five minutes before, and when I realized what it was, I ran up the stairs and bolted into her room to comfort her from the horrendously loud noise, and she was already asleep.  And she slept through the entire thing.

It's a good thing I'm a light sleeper, in case it ever goes off in the middle of the night.  Of course, I'm praying (as I'm sure my mom is, and any other extended family members) that it never does go off in the middle of the night.  I hear it happened just a few years ago, which means my small town has already had its quota of tornadoes, right?


10 people wanted to leave a comment:

Kristina P. said...

Wow! That does not sound fun.

Lynette said...

At least you can hear it! Orting has a bunch of lahar sirens but we couldn't hear them at our house. I asked my parents (as a child) what we would do if there was a lahar at night and we can't hear the sirens. My dad said "then we will die in our sleep." Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well for a while. And I had nightmares for the rest of my life that I lived in Orting. I will never live in the valley AGAIN!

Christie said...

Where I lived in Wyoming we had those at school, and they are so loud and scary sounding! I remember being in church when one went off and we all had to go in the hallways, then I remember someone looking out one window on one side of the building, another window on another, and another window on another side, to tell us all that there were three tornadoes surrounding the building! Nothing happened, thankfully. But I was always a bit creeped out by tornadoes there. I still remember the drills at school for them, too! I hope you never have a scary one around you, Erin! Glad to see more of where you are!

Jessie said...

D'oh! That is really close! Ours is a good 1/2 mile away - we can hear it, but it's not scary. Hee hee, have fun with those test runs once a month!

Lara said...

Looks like you guys have settled in well and are enjoying your new adventure!

natalie said...

I have somehow managed to live on the same block as our tornado siren in every home in both Oklahoma and Texas. I've been through a few tornadoes and helped clean up after two F5s. They are scary, but beautiful. :) I'm the one outside with my camera! ;)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

For your sake I hope you only have to hear that siren on those Saturdays. Scary! The thought of tornado's scare me to death!

Momm-O said...

I remember the tornado sirens going off when we lived in Illinois. It was sometimes hard to hear the siren during a loud storm. I remember putting the kids to bed in the basement a few times. I was always nervous about tornadoes. Of course people in tornado alley are grateful that there are warnings, unlike earthquakes. I guess there are risks everywhere.

Melanie Jacobson said...

In Huntington Beach we lived right next to the fire station with the tsunami warning horn, and HOLY COW. I feel for you. Scared me every single time they did the drill.

The Yoder's Four said...

I remember hearing a siren like that regularly while I was growing up. I have no clue what it was for, since the only natural disaster Hurricane's ever had is a couple teeny earthquakes, and you can't predict those.

Sounds exciting...er...nerve wracking!