Tuesday, February 21

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

My neighborhood is great.  It is so great, that when our realtor stopped by to see how we were doing and to give us a gift (is this normal?), I told her about our neighbors, and she said, "If I told clients exactly what you just told me about this neighborhood, they would think that I was just feeding them a line to get a sale!"  It's almost kind of like the neighborhood of Desperate Housewives, without the crazy people, or almost a little Stepford Wives-ish, but I haven't met any robot women. 

I already told you that we had 13 people over to help us unpack the first day (a few were from the ward, but most of them were neighbors on our street).  Other things that have happened:
  • We have received three plates of treats - one from each of our next-door neighbors, and one from the family across the street.
  • Other families have introduced themselves when we are outside and have visited with us a little.
  • Everyone in the neighborhood waves when you are driving down the street in your car.
  • My across-the-street neighbors are AWESOME.  The husband said that he loves to do stuff like finish basements (as we have an unfinished basement, this makes us very happy). The wife got her degree in interior design and said she would be happy to help me figure out what I would like in my home color-wise.  (And the next-door neighbor said she LOVES to paint and would be happy to help when the time comes.)
  • The family across the street has two girls, ages 7 and 13, and for the last three days they have played with my two boys in the park for hours.  The 13 year old is really responsible and will be a great baby-sitter. (She even took an official babysitting class from the hospital and learned CPR, among other things.)
  • We have been told the neighborhood has impromptu block parties a few times a month during the summer.  Everyone brings food, and we all eat while the kids play together.
  • It is a very religious community, and no sports or schooling events are held on Wednesday nights so that church groups can hold their activities/meetings.
It's seriously so awesome that it's kind of bizarre.  Where are the people who drive too fast down the street?  Where is the creepy guy who everyone avoids?

I think I'm really, really going to like living here. Now, I hear a house is going up for sale just around the corner.  Who wants to be my neighbor?

12 people wanted to leave a comment:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I want to be your neighbor, if it's as great as you describe. My neighborhood has the riff-raff, the creepy neighbor and the recluse....wait...I'm the recluse *sigh*.

Melanie Jacobson said...

I don't know why but I kind of teared up reading this. I think I'm happy for you. Sounds wonderful!

Kristina P. said...

What the? My neighbors super suck. They didn't even let me steal their Wifi!

LisAway said...

It sounds like you moved to Heaven!

Jessie said...

It just keeps getting better! Wow, talk about the right place at the right time. Lucky ducks!

Karen E. said...

Can I be your neighbor? Pretty please?

Christie said...

I want to be your neighbor again :)! What a great place you've moved into! That sounds fabulous!

Christine said...

That's so awesome!

The Yoder's Four said...

:D Trade you places!!

Jessica said...

That is so great! Love to hear that their are great communities out there like this.

Just SO said...

Sounds tempting!! I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful neighborhood!!

Laura said...

Honestly, if we could settle down somewhere half as nice, I'd be happy. Be sure to let us know when it goes all "The Burbs" on you so we can feel better about ourselves.
So happy for you.