Saturday, December 20

On the Eighth Day of Christmas I Posted on My Blog

EIGHT PRESENTS TREESIDE
and
EIGHT INCHES OF NEW SNOW

We only have eight presents under our tree. We're keeping it simple this year, and I like it that way. We are spending time together as a family each night, and we are trying to keep our kids from being too materialistic - at ages 5 and 3, it's not hard. Just let them watch PBS and only PBS, which has no commercials and therefore keeps the gimmees away. (Although, clearly Aidan has seen a commercial somewhere because his favorite song right now is "Cha Cha Cha Chia!" I posted a video of him singing it on my private blog if you have access.) When Ethan sat on Santa's lap at the ward party, all he asked for was a Nerf gun. Ahhh, how I love that kid. We've had these presents under the tree for a couple of weeks now, and neither child has even tried to open a present. It's like they aren't even there. Frankly, I don't know how they aren't more excited than they are.

On Thursday morning, we woke up to lots of new snow. Christian went outside and measured 8 inches on the driveway, in addition to the 6 inches we already had on the grass. And we are supposed to be getting more over the next few days. It's going to be a white Christmas...let's just hope the roads stay clear for the holiday traveling many of us will be doing.

16 people wanted to leave a comment:

Brooke said...

Good luck with the roads. We have no presents under our tree (well except the one Land made me in preschool - that they can't stand for me not to open yet). Sounds like you guys have more snow than us, though I think we are catching up fast.

Lara Neves said...

I think it's great you're keeping it simple this year. I usually try to, but this year I went nuts...I still kept my same budget, but managed to find some great deals, so there's like 50 presents under the tree(some are my mom's fault, though). Sigh.

Joel measured 10 inches of snow where we are on Thursday. Crazy storm.

Sarah Mickalson said...

We did 5 presenets per kid this year. 1 from Santa, 1 from mom, 1 from dad (we can never agree) and 1from each of the other kids. I love it! I bought everything the day after Christmas and spent under 200 bucks and that uncluded some things for Paul. It felt so nice to have it over with and stick to the list.

Britt said...

It's nice to keep things simple isn't it? Sage hasn't asked for anything for Christmas. We only allow her to watch TV without commericals too, it's nice isn't it?

Anonymous said...

We're trying to simplify, too. It's not easy (for me) but I think it's worth it. Of course with three sets of Grandparents all far away now it will still look very full under there.

Anonymous said...

I like that you are simplifying! WeKve only given one gift from santa every year and anything in addition, is just a bonus!

Kristina P. said...

Great tie-in! We have no presents under the tree. Which stressed me out because that means I have wrapped nothing.

Heidi said...

My 7 year old keeps asking me why there are no presents under the tree. How do I explain to him that I have been to busy blogging to wrap anything? Actually, I never do it until Christmas eve--I was way to sneaky and peeky as a kid and expect mine are the same. How fun to have some snow for Christmas!! I know it's cold and a pain but it's so darn lovely!

Just SO said...

That is really neat that you are keeping it simple. And PBS is awesome for the no commercials. We have snow too! I'm excited. A white Christmas.

rychelle said...

We agreed to keep it simple too, but somehow our tree is over flowing. Most of the gifts are going to friends and family though.

I'm excited about the white Christmas, but I'm hoping for safe traveling conditions too!

Thanks for your sweet email. Glad you liked the socks.

Merry Christmas.

Lee said...

It's kind of sad that now I'm a materialistic person.
I told my mom I'd rather have a bunch of small presents than one big one.
I like quantity.
So if I only got eight, I'd probably be a sourpuss.

tammy said...

Good for you at keeping it small and simple. I wish my hubby would do this. I always try to and he always outbuys me, which always makes me feel like I didn't get him enough. I shouldn't worry about it if that's his choice huh?

Diane said...

Our Christmas is smaller this year too. The boys are still getting something cool, just not all the other stuff. We are getting more snow tonight, but I did go out and get my diet coke. I'm set, I think.

Jan said...

So far we have kept it light. I have finally got some things under the tree as of today. And it would have been okay if it was next week. I just am not feeling the go out and buy every little unneedful thing this year. What a snow you have. Wow.

Shauna said...

I agree! Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! L♥ve and Hugs :) Shauna

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

I love keeping it simple. My kids also only watch PBS, which I love, but Carson was singing the Chia song as well! Funny, he saw it on Saturday morning cartoons I guess.
The cursed Fisher-price DVD's that are free, however, has made them want Planet Heroes and the GeoTrax. So in answer to your question, GeoTrax are trains, and they are expensive. So unfortunately, we spent more on them this year than ever before, but they aren't getting much more just because we did want to keep it simple.