Friday, April 24

Aren't You Jealous?

The first part of December, Christian did a pack meeting (he's the Cubmaster in scouts) where he had all of the kids plant a few seeds in a clear cup so they could watch the roots and plants grow. He had a hodge podge of seeds, and both Ethan and Aidan planted a few seeds in their cups. The seeds began to grow, and we quickly realized that each boy had one or two tomato plants in addition to some grass seeds and other unknown plants. As they got bigger and bigger, Christian weeded out the grass and unknown plants and transplanted the tomato plants into a bigger container. It sat in our kitchen window until it overtook the window. A couple of weeks ago Christian transplanted them again into a huge pot with new soil and stuck some sticks in it to create a makeshift tomato wire holder thingy (can you tell I'm a gardening expert?). They completely took off, growing like crazy and producing little green tomatoes. We quickly learned that what we have are cherry tomatoes. Look at this picture and notice in the bottom right corner of the plant we have four ripe cherry tomatoes! (You can only see two of them.) It's been so fun for the boys to watch their tiny seeds become fruit producing plants. And we all get to enjoy the fruits of our (okay, their) labors - in April!(Linked up with CaJoh's Friday's Feast.)

32 people wanted to leave a comment:

deb@virginia blue said...

That's so awesome! I remember years ago, getting some pots and letting the kids plant peppers in them...they were such good caretakers of those plants, and had so much fun watching them grow and using the "fruits of their labors"!

Britt said...

What fun! The plant got quite big! Does it make you wish you had a garden?

Rachel Sue said...

I wish the tomato seeds that I planted were that big! That is awesome!

Jan said...

Completely jealous. I think that is so great. Nothing better than fresh veggies. Okay, maybe fresh pie. :)

Have a great weekend.

Lara Neves said...

I am jealous! I do not have the green thumb in our family. Joel does, and he hasn't had a garden in a while!

Christa said...

I am jealous. I haven't planted a single thing yet and I really meant to this year. I need to get on it and get on it fast.

Devri said...

I am jelous!!!

Every year we let our kids plant in our garden, they get to go out and water it daily and weed. They love to see the outcome, and there is nothing better than fresh!!

Jen said...

Your tomato plant is huge! It looks amazing.

Kristina P. said...

Very cool! I do have a dead plant in a trashbag, on our porch. Oh wait, make that two. Things tend not to live too long around here.

tiburon said...

That is fantastic! I kill anything that is alive. Except for my kids. They just won't give in.

rychelle said...

i am jealous. i can't get anything to grow.

Cajoh said...

Tomatoes have a way of growing fast. You will have to plant it in the garden and have great harvests for wonderful salads for months to come.

Thanks for linking up— it is a great way to celebrate the love of food when you can grow it yourself.

Adrienne said...

very fun project! Fresh produce is the best...

Katie said...

I am so jealous. We planted our garden a couple of weeks ago. Everything is an inch or two tall. So far nothing has died. We'll see if we get any fruits of our labors.

Liz said...

that is pretty awesome!

Christine said...

So they didn't have to be pollinated after all? That is so AWESOME! I love garden tomatoes with all my heart.

Desta said...

That's great! I cheat and start with already-sprouted plants because I've tried the seed thing and I think I'm just not nurturing enough. They never grow. Not even flowers.

Christine said...

That is so sweet! We have nary a green thing in our whole house, but I've been thinking the boys need to learn that vegetables do grow from dirt. Love it!

Anonymous said...

My face is green with jealousy. Tomato green in fact.

Lee said...

We have tomato plants in our garden. : ) I love growing things from scratch!

rich and steph said...

I cheat and buy the young plants;) We have tomatoes, chocolate peppers (sweet peppers) and banana peppers. Our growing season starts early here. I love the Cherry tomatoes. Happy eating!

Femin Susan said...

your tomato plant is huge. I had a tomato plant too but died due to fungus.
Cheers!

Diane said...

Cool! I kill all my indoor plants except for my aloe plant.

I love little tomatoes. Last Summer a friend from church asked me to water her garden while she was out of town. She had these little orange tomatoes. They were so sweet and yummy.

Femin Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comment. feel free to visit again.
Cheers!

Amanda said...

Awesome! I still have to wait forever to harvest!

susette said...

oh boy! I'd be taking those tiny four little tomatoes and slicing them up and putting them on some wheat bread with mayonnaise and having a delightful little itsy bitsy sandwich.

Oh I can't wait till a Summer garden is full!

Fiauna said...

So totally jealous. I love fresh tomatoes. Especially cherry tomatoes (Isn't that what you're growing? It looks like it anyway).

Anonymous said...

Yep, jealous! :)

Unknown said...

I so love cherry tomatoes! I'm impressed!

Kate said...

How fun. I bet that your kids were very excited about it. They are huge.

tiki_lady said...

i love this~ which reminds me. I hope I'm not too late for my plantings!

mCat said...

Very very cool! I would have killed those suckers within a week!