Wednesday, April 22

Expounding on the Thin Mints

Okay, after all of your comments suggesting that I might be crazy for forgetting about Girl Scout cookies in my cupboard, I figured I had better tell you the whole story so you can sigh in relief and know that I am the same old Erin, and not some better version who forgot about chocolate in her house.

I didn't actually get the cookies until Monday, April 13. Christian's stepmom came down to visit us for the Easter weekend, and as she was leaving Monday morning she realized she had the cookies in her trunk and had forgotten to give them to us before then (WHAT?! Forget cookies?! Oh, the horrors!) Well, by then we had bags (and when I say bags, I mean like 6 bags) of Easter candy that the Easter bunny/aforementioned stepmom brought, a newly-purchased 12 pack of double chocolate chip Costco muffins, birthday cake from Christian AND Aidan's birthdays, cinnamon rolls from conference weekend - oh wait, those were gone by Sunday evening, and my always stashed PB Twix hidden in the pantry. I figured since I had all that other deliciousness in the house, I may as well put the Girl Scout cookies in a cupboard and eat everything else first. I was talking on the phone when I put them away, and without thinking I put them in the same cupboard where our breadmaker and hummingbird feeder are (in other words, a not very frequently opened cupboard). Then I forgot about them while I gorged on other treats.

Enter Tuesday night, when I talked to my sister on the phone and she jogged my memory that I had cookies in my cupboard. (It had only been 8 days. All of the other deliciousness in the house was gone by then.) I opened the cupboard, pulled out the Thin Mints, took a sleeve into the computer room, and started snacking while I blogged. I'm like Monica on Friends with Tic-Tacs - I can only eat Thin Mints in even numbers. So I would pull out two cookies, scarf them savor them, and read a few blogs. I did that a few times, and before I knew it, there were only two Thin Mints left in the sleeve. Well, you can't just leave two poor little Thin Mints rolling around in a nearly empty piece of plastic. So I did what I had to do. Eat them.

I put a sleeve in the freezer this morning, after many of you mentioned that. And just before I started writing this post I went to the bathroom. While washing my hands afterward, I looked in the mirror and saw Thin Mint crumbs on my cheek. I need help people!

31 people wanted to leave a comment:

Kristina P. said...

Thin Mints are very deceiving because it doesn't seem like a big cookie. But after you eat one sleeve, you realize that you just ate about 5 Krispy Kreme donuts.

Wonder Woman said...

I can see myself doing this. I really, really wish I had some secret Thin Mints stashed somewhere. I just ate my last frozen Junior Mint a few hours ago.

Barbaloot said...

Great-now I'm craving PB Twix, too! And I really, REALLY hope Kristina is exaggerating when she says a sleeve of Thin Mints if 5 Krispy Kremes. That is enough to make me wanna cry. And then eat two sleeves.

Michelle said...

I love PB Twix too--but unfortunately I don't have a stash of any :(

sweets (especially anything chocolately) are my downfall, and I'm trying my hardest to lose some of that baby fat (from all 6 children).

If you really need help, I'll be over to help rid you of those Thin Mint :D

Lara Neves said...

Okay then. We can still be friends. Except, I have to eat my cookies (doesn't matter which kind) in threes. Perhaps I should try downsizing to twos.

Brittany Marie said...

Yes, but have you tried the Thin Mint ice cream?!

Kaylynn said...

Who can eat thin mints one at a time? Do you turn them so the bottoms match up? That's the best!

Jillene said...

PB Twix is one of my favs too!! And like Brittany sais--try the Thin Mint ice cream--oh yeah baby!! It's to die for!!

rich and steph said...

Thin mints have that same hold over me. They are just tiny and must be good:) Dang, now I want some!

Jilly Bean said...

You're so cute! Nice crumbs on the cheek! I can't believe you ate through all that garbage and only play wii fit and are still so trim. You are one lucky woman!

I haven't had a Thin Mint in a long time. Sounds yummy. Usually I get the Samoas because I love chocolate, coconut, and caramel. Mmmmmmm. I didn't get any Girl Scout cookies this year. Now I'm wishing I did.

mCat said...

Now to try the frozen Thin Mint.

Katie said...

This is exactly why it is better for me to not keep a lot of stuff like this in the house. I still do it anyways, but it's easier to resist when it isn't staring you in the face when you are hungry.
Now I feel the urge to go find something yummy in the kitchen.

Lee said...

I don't call them thin-mints. I call them crack-mints.
You can get addicted to them within the first two cookies.
And I eat ALL of my food in even numbers.
I can't eat three oreos. I get OCD about it.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Frozen thin mints are the BEST. I somehow missed Girl Scout Cookie season this year (which is strange as I live in a neighborhood with at least 10 girl scouts). Now I'm kinda sad.

Devri said...

First of all- pHew!! You washed your hands, thank you!! tee hee

second, frozen thin mints, get your bum off the computer and go eat them all!! Or save one for me, if you will!

Jan said...

I love frozen thin mints. This is making my mouth water. I want some so badly. You are so funny. WE all do things like this.

lynsie said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm... thin mints...

I love that you eat like that. I was eating brownies (that I added chocolate chips to because naturally they needed to be added) and I answered the door and the nice lady in my ward was wiping her chin a lot. About three hours later as I went to put more brownie in my mouth I brushed off this huge melty chocolate chip piece from the side of my chin. DOH! Oh, well. I've missed reading your blog! I am so glad I had time to stop by. Take care!

Cynthia said...

Wow. 8 days. I don't think we've ever had a box of Girl Scout cookies make it 8 hours in this house. Yum. Thin mints.

Whitney R said...

I forgive you... but I still want some.

Anne-Marie said...

What I would do for your metabolism, Erin...sigh...

Samoas are my personal fave.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

You don't need help... you are doing the right thing. Thin Mints make people happy and so you should consume (I used to be a Girl Scout and had to sell those things door to door. No selling at the grocery stores like they do now). Even though they are utterly too expensive now, they are still the best cookies ever :) I hope you enjoy them frozen. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. I gotta get me some chocolate. Now.

Darn you and your post! :)

rachel said...

I love this post!! It brings so many memories of chocolate, and more chocolate...sigh...enjoy a sleeve of Thin Mints for me, K???

Fiauna said...

I wish I could be you. Unfortunately, a sleeve of Thin Mints would be forever embedded on my thighs. Sigh. Enjoy them for me.

Diane said...

My neighbor just gave me a box of thin mints today. I had to ask her if she was crazy and she told me she had "too many boxes of girl scout cookies". As if that were possible.

Laurie said...

So glad you did not leave those last two cookies lonely. I found a box of cookies I left in my storage room just a couple days ago. Unheard of

Anonymous said...

Thin Mints are evil. They are actually one of the "better" GS cookies calorie and fat wise per serving. But It is nearly impossible for me to not finish off a whole sleeve of them. If the pack is open, they must be eaten. And I can consume one of those sleeves with remarkable speed.

Evil.

Britt said...

You are a lucky woman that you got all those thin mints to yourself.

charrette said...

I have the same problem with Trader Joe's cndy-cane Joe-Joe's...the chocolate-covered ones are like thin mints on steroids. For awhile I was considering them a weight loss product because they're so rich, you can only eat one at a time. Oila! Appetite Suppressant! :)

Also, I just logged on to tell you that lots of bloggers were together at Heidi's library gathering this morning and I heard lots of them talking about you. Apparently you facilitate a lot of these connections. Which is awesome. And you are loved. Which is even awesomer. :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I totally just brought Charrette a box of those Joes Joes on Thursday. I'm a bad person.

And I'm not even going to tell you often I wander around with unnoticed food on my face because I'm so awesome like that.

tiki_lady said...

i love thin mints too! each year I have a favorite GS cookie.