Wednesday, August 19

Almost Wordless Wednesday

Some of my favorite rocks
azurite and malachite
The beginnings of our rock garden (and our ginormous backyard)

26 people wanted to leave a comment:

Shelane said...

Really, you would have thought that being so far off in the boonies they could have atleast given you a little more backyard to compensate. I mean, it's not like there's a shortage, eh?

I have plans to take the kids out geode-hunting, thanks to you. How do you get them open when you find them in the wild?

Theresa said...

Lovely rock garden! Have a blessed day:)

Christa said...

I was a bit of a rock hound when I was younger. I have a jar sitting not 3 feet from me right now that is filled with some of my favorites. This is making me want to grow a rock garden of my own.

Amy said...

What a pretty rock garden! What I want to know is where you found all those beautiful rocks? My husband would be over the moon if we had a rock garden!

Cynthia said...

Cool rock garden! I've wanted to take the kids rock hounding but haven't gotten to it yet. There's a geode field out west of Dugway I want to check out but it's in the middle of nowhere desert and it makes me nervous!

That is a tiny backyard but think how much less time you have to spend maintaining it? We thought 1/3 acre was a great size yard but now that we have to do a lot of maintenance- maybe not!

Kristina P. said...

That is the perfect size yard for me!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Cool rocks! I had a rock polisher as a kid, a Christmas gift that my parents got me after I spent quite a lot of time "rock" hunting in my driveway. My oldest son REAlly loves rocks, too.
Enough so that he is now a master stone mason.
:~D

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I adore rocks! I'm actually writing a fantasy novel based on the inherent powers in differently compositioned rocks. It's allowing me to combine my love of writing and love of geology. Maybe I should pick your brain sometime!

LisAway said...

Oh, pretty! Be careful, Erin! I hope your kids don't get lost in that yard.

I didn't know there was such thing as a backyard smaller than ours! :) Yours is much cuter, though.

Chloe m said...

My parents have become ocd rockhounds for their retirement and are always hunting down new stuff. Then they make it into jewelry, which I am the lucky recipient of!
Yours are pretty and you have the beginnings of a fine collection.
You are also in a great place to find treasures.
Rosey

Fiauna said...

Those are some nice rocks. And your backyard is just about perfect.

Jessie said...

Our backyard is also shallow and really long. It's bigger than what you have pictured, but the boys always opt to play in the front...you know, near the street. Kids love giving their mom stress.

Oh, and I used to love rocks as a kid!
Maybe I should replace all this dying grass of mine (swear swear) with rocks! That would make my life so much easier.

Jillene said...

I LOVE your rock garden. And you HUGE backyard!! (0;

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Who would have thought that one could find such beauty in rocks. Wait..aren't diamonds rocks! Scratch that! GREAT Finds! :)

Jessica G. said...

I love rocks, too! My husband's grandfather always took him rock hunting so we have several that from those days, like a large chunk of obsidian and a big roundish one that is most likely a geode but my husband prefers to keep whole because of the memories.

Lee said...

Heck, I should make a rock garden. A lot easier to maintain than my regular garden.

Katie said...

We were always on the hunt for good rocks as a kid. Cool rock garden...it coordinates nicely with your rock wall.

Cranberryfries said...

How fun!

trublubyu said...

i have a daughter who is a rock collector- i used to fight it. whenever i found a rock lying around the house (read: stepped on a rock lying around the house) or find a little stash of rocks in her bedroom or in my kitchen, i would chuck it outside.

my husband finally embraced her little hobby about a year ago and set up a special place for her rocks in our back yard. ever since, we have loved collecting rocks with her whenever we go somewhere.

i believe in rock gardens...

Sabrina said...

Very pretty rocks!!
I Love rocks too, I collect agates.
I like your yard, it's cute!

rich and steph said...

Your rocks are beautiful:) My oldest still collects any kind of rock that catches his eye and he is 14.

Karen Mello Burton said...

I would KILL for a yard that size. Seriously. Got any rocks that you ever considered making jewelry out of?

mCat said...

I never thought about a rock garden, but the fact that you are doing it with your son makes it that much more special

Jen said...

I love the HUGE boulders behind you! WOW! Those are fantastic. What a great adventure with your kids. Kids love rocks (and I do, too, as long as they aren't thrown through my window. LOL).

Stephanie Faris said...

Oh my. That is going to be a beautiful rock garden!

Missy said...

How beautiful! Love this!