Monday, February 22

Intelligence Quotient

Do you know your I.Q.? Would you want to know it if you had the opportunity? Would you want others to know yours? Why or why not?

20 people wanted to leave a comment:

Karen Mello Burton said...

A s a special ed teacher I deal with IQs and tests a lot. It is helpful, but not a full sampling of a person's abilities.

My own??? Let's say if it was 140 or higher I wouldn't care who knew it!

Erin said...

My husband had to administer IQ tests as part of his Ph.D., and I was a "lucky" guinea pig. So yes, I know my score. It is quite high. But I felt like it was so subjective in some aspects, like if I happened to know the answers in the trivia question section my score would be much higher than if I happened to NOT know the answers.

And sometimes, I am book smart, but I am not street smart. And both are important!

I am on the road today, driving the length of the state of Utah. Wish me a safe drive and I will be back to stalking all of you soon!

Kristina P. said...

I am pretty sure it's at least 160.

I haven't taken an IQ test since I was in Elementary school, and I have no idea what it was.

Unknown said...

I prefer not to know. My husband always thinks I would score so high and that is so nice that he thinks that but I would feel insanely stupid if I didn't. Since I have been known as a smart person all of my life, what if I am not? Best just to keep the stigma going. lol.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I think emotional intelligence and social intelligence count for a lot more than academic intelligence. The people I want to spend time with are the ones who care about people, and there's no test for measuring that, you know?

Wonder Woman said...

I took one on facebook a year or two ago and have proudly displayed the results. Though like you, I had seen some of the questions before and knew the answers.

I think that just means we're super-smart.

Superman and I have one friend who's IQ I'm just dying to know. He's kind of odd, and I wonder if his IQ is part of it.

Anonymous said...

Nope and nope.

I don't think IQ accounts for much. I think emotional and social intelligence is much more important. I have known people over the years with insanely high IQs, and while they are smart, they are not pleasant to be around or easy to talk to. Almost socially retarded in many ways, not able to read facial cues or body language.

But maybe that's just what people with low IQs say. :)

Merri Ann said...

I don't know mine and my husband has said he doesn't know his ... and neither of us can think of any good reason to know.

Having said that, what I know is that my husband would probably test really high and I would probably not be close to his score. He is hands down the smartest person I have ever met ... he wouldn't be able to be in his profession if that wasn't the case.

But testing high doesn't make someone smart in my book. He would tell you that I'm much smarter than he is because he knows that he can barely make his way across town ... He is a tad like living with Mr. Magoo.

Sabrina said...

I have no idea of what mine is... I know a lot of random things, but I know they test you on lots of stuff, like math. I'm not good at that.
I think I would like to know, and if it wasnt too low I would tell people. :)

rich and steph said...

I have never had mine tested and that is ok with me. In my head, I score at the genius mark. This way, my dream is not proved wrong:)

Laurie said...

Have fun on the road!

I've only taken one of those internet ones. Not exactly accurate... But I was pleased with my score. But like others have said, it's not all that matters. I might know how to do math, but I'm not very street smart.

Sher said...

I had no idea IQ stood for Intelligence Quotient. Does that affect my score?
I don't know what my IQ is, but I wouldn't mind knowing.
If I found out I was some kind of rare genius, I'd probably brag to everyone, but if I found out that I'm dumber than nails, I'd probably still tell everyone.

Jillene said...

I have no idea what mine is. And I guess I wouldn't mind sharing it as long as I wasn't as dumb as dirt.

Mary said...

I think IQ tests only focus on one aspect of thinking. I know so many nurses that were A students all throughout nursing school, but I would never want them as my nurse. It's too subjective.

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I don't know what mine is..but have always wondered! I have to admit, I would probably shout it from the roof tops (if it was good) because I'm lame like that!

Rachel Sue said...

Not a clue. I don't know if I would want to know. I remember when the ACT scores came out in high school and I felt okay about mine until all my friends told me theirs. I think it might be similar. . .

As Told By Molly said...

I wouldn't mind knowing it. But what would I do once I knew my score? I would most likely just say, "Oh." and keep moving on. As long as my kids think I know everything, I'm good.

Lara Neves said...

I took the Facebook test, and it's there on my profile, because it just put it there. It's pretty high, but I doubt it's actually accurate.

And I think that IQ tests are mostly silly, because, as I understand it, they only test two types of intelligence. So those people who have high intelligence in any of the other areas (aren't there 7 or 9?) aren't considered smart. I put my husband in that category. He's a musical genius, really, but he probably wouldn't test very high on an IQ test because his brain just doesn't work that way.

Mayhem and Moxie said...

I think I would probably pass on this entirely. I am comfortable with the amount of useless info I know about celebrity trash and other such nonsense. :)

Hope your drive goes well, Erin!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Yep. I like knowing my IQ because I was tested as a kid and I like to make sure it's not dropping over the years. Don't really care if other people know it and don't really think about other peoples'. But I would definitely never tell my kids. I wish I DIDN'T know mine as a kid, but water under the bridge and all that . . .